2000 Chevy Malibu Constant Over heating issue

BBRAN851
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My Malibu had an overheating problem and had a replaced engine because of the issue. About 2 months later the head gasket went out because the newly replaced water pump failed. I have been through 3 water pumps in 3 months and 2 thermostats. The "new" engine has roughly 70k miles on it with a now replaced head gasket also. I lose about a liter of water from the reservoir every 150-200 miles and keep refilling water. Right before the water pump goes out or it over heats I get a coolant smell inside the vehicle and the temp slowly climbs. Opening the cap on the reservoir shows to be steam coming from the reservoir usually with little to no water left. After I refill the reservoir while the engine is still warm I try to hand pump water from the reservoir to the radiator by squeezing the tubing from the radiator to the engine block, but no water comes through. This problem has proved lots of money in repairs for me and an answer or a lead would be greatly appreciated!
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 3:00 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Hi, thanks for the donation, greatly appreciated. I think your problem may be with a clogged radiator, also try flushing the radiator, filling with 50/50 diluted antifreeze/coolant. No more water. Also change the radiator cap. See how that goes, if its still going haywire, we will continue to troubleshoot. We will always be here for you so dont worry. Another thing I want to ask. Is there a check engine light on? And we need to verify if the radiator fans are coming on.
+1
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:11 AM
LEGITIMATE007
Another way to check the radiator for clogs, is too. Pressure test it. That you may want to have the shop help you with. But it is do-able.
-1
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:13 AM
BBRAN851
I checked and the radiator fan does not come on even when the temperature starts to climb. This weekend we plan on replacing the thermostat to see if that is the problem with the fan and then flushing the radiator and checking for plugs. When I ran it this morning again to check the radiator fan wanst running and I still lost most of the water in the system, but I couldnt see where it was coming from, just a few drops falling out by the right front tire. Any more suggestions would be awesome, and thank you for the first post!
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 11:16 AM
LEGITIMATE007
Check the lower radiator hose, located at the bottom of the radiator. Im sure this is a simple problem, its just that we havent found it yet. We'll get to the bottom of it. If you can reach the lower hose, run your hand along the bottom and check for wetness
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 12:16 PM
BBRAN851
There is no wetness on the hose below the radiator, the outside of the crankcase seems to be wet, but not dripping water, there is no signs of water in the oil, and the heat is now working so its not the thermostat. If you would be interested in calling me we are working on it right now and my number is 715-965-1378. Thank you.
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 12:44 PM
LEGITIMATE007
How long have you been putting water into the radiator?
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 9:57 AM