1998 Chevy Lumina Brake lights not working!

MANDCVAUGHN
  • 1998 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Brakes problem
1998 Chevy Lumina Front Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

I checked the fuses and the bulbs for my brake lights. I am not getting any light from the high mount brake light either. In the fuse box on the passenger side door it looks like a fuse may have shorted out but the fuse is good. I have had problems in the past week with the left turn signal but now that is working. I also checked the voltage running through that fuse and it cheked good. I do have an airbag but am I able to replace the turn signal switch without accidentally deploying that?
Monday, July 5th, 2010 AT 2:20 PM

INTERNETMECHANIC
Check the brake switch, and voltage to and from switch. Orange wire is voltage to the switch, hot all the time. White wire goes hot when switch is activated, carries voltage for brake lites. Switch should be under the dash, activated by brake pedal arm.
Monday, July 5th, 2010 AT 2:30 PM
MANDCVAUGHN
I found it! The previous owner must have tried to fix it before. The white wire had a jumper sodered into it. It looks like the wire had been accidentally cut. I fixed that with a proper jumper buut the brake lights are still not working.
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 10:46 AM
INTERNETMECHANIC
Is there voltage on the white wire? The high-mount brake lite, while it does get voltage from the brake switch, it is not wired the same as the lower brake lites. The lower brake lites are wired through the turn switch. Did you use a testlite on the bulb socket, brake switch activated. Did you check for voltage on the wiring colors already mentioned?
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 12:02 PM