Instrument panel cluster

BRUNOFHL
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Electrical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 40000 miles

After battery change, the instrument cluster no longer works. Fuses not blown.

Tried what I read on here. Disconnected battery, left it disconnected for fifteen minutes, pulled instrument panel fuse and replaced. The instrument cluster still doesn't work.

Any ideas.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 10:43 AM

Did you use a voltage tester on applicable fuse circuit? Even if the fuse is good, if there is no voltage at the fuse circuit, the circuit is dead.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_cavalier_instrument_cluster_fuse_1.jpg

Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 2:51 PM
BRUNOFHL
No, I didn't. I'll try that, but I'll have to find someone to help me with it as I don't have a voltage tester.

Thank you, JDL.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 9:11 PM
Some of the discount stores sell a testlite and or digital multimeter.
Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 8:57 AM
BRUNOFHL
Had the car to a mechanic and he checked circuits and did tests that led him to conclude that it is the instrument cluster that is problem and nothing else. He says to get a new instrument cluster.

Since the other 'cavalier gauges' thread had so many people that were able to get it going again after the same problem, i'm just wondering if there are any other ways I could try and get the cluster to 'reset, or power-on' without having to get a whole new instrument cluster, which I think will be sort of expensive.
+1
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 2:19 PM
I don't know?
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 2:37 PM
GLENDA BARNARD
My Instrument panel went out after the battery was removed. The fuse was not burned out. My son started the car, took the fuse out and put the same fuse back in with the car still running. It worked. Three mechanics had told me I needed a new Instrument panel.
+2
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KEN
Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help people.

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 11:33 AM
MARMEG02
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85,000 miles

The gages has stopped working. Speed, oil, rpm, temp. I Check the fuse for the instrument cluster but it was okay. While checking fuse I noticed that the info lights. Brake, engine, etc stayed on although the ignition was off. It had to be boosted the other day and the instrument cluster didn't work then. That's when I checked the fuse. I am have a decent working knowledge of autos, but electrical, not so much. If you need any futher info, let me know.
Tim
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 11:34 AM (Merged)
OSUJONATHAN
I think I have the same problem. I've got a 2003 Cavalier. I had to disconnect the negative battery terminal one day as I was trying to work on the horn. After I connected the cable, all the gauges stopped working and a bunch of lights remained on. I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new instrument cluster. It was too expensive to replace and I also thought there is an easier fix. What did you end up doing? Thanks.
ALBERTMS
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl 63000 miles

jump started auto. Instrument panel gauges and most warning lights (check engine, theft sytem work)
now do not work. Fuses check out okay. Fuses still get warm.
Did you check the fuse circuit, to see if it was hot, when it should be? Use a testlite. Lower left of dash, instrument cluster fuse, hot all the time. Bcm/clu fuse, goes hot when you turn on the key.
GLENN MINNIE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
When I start to drive my 2002 Chevy cavalier my gauges
All drop to zero. I checked both fuses and I also checked
Voltage to the cluster. I front and backed probed it
And had voltage with the car idling. I also put a new
Instrument cluster panel in car and it had same problem.
Fuses are good and I also had voltage when I front and
Backed probe it at idle. I'm just finished automotive
School and I'm lost. Any ideas? I also made sure the
Ground where the instrument hook up to was clean
And tight. Please help me.
This may be a n ignition switch problem which your car may be under recall for that check with a dealer. If it is it will be replaced free of charge. Also check grounds on steering column support bracket and at engine/transaxle.