Check gauges light

FOOTNFOOL
  • CHEVROLET CAMARO
I drive a 1997 Camaro 3.8L V6. Ever since I bought the car in the spring of 2007 the check gauges light is on always. It doesn't affect the driving of it. I just like my car to work properly in every way. Also, is it possible to have the Service Engine Soon light not come on when it needs to? When my fuel pump died the SES light never came on. Please help me turn off the light to get it working again. Thank you in advance for the help.
Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 AT 10:56 AM

POET042005
Well I recommend that you tak the car and have the engine computer checked for codes.

Normally these ltes come on due to errors in the system. Another possibility would be electrical faults in the system somewhere or you may just have low fluid levels brakes, power steering, motor oil, tansmission oil coolant ect.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Were here to help any way we can.

Richard
Thursday, September 6th, 2007 AT 10:42 AM
FOOTNFOOL
I know I don't have any low fluid levels. I check those regularly. Is it some switch that is just confused to think it needs to be on? I have had a low oil light come on right after I bought my car and a oil change fixed that no problem. Thank you for your reply
Thursday, September 6th, 2007 AT 1:03 PM
IGENIUS92
Thanks I'll try both ideas, oh also would it matter if the needles were mixed up?Say if the gas needle was on the battery one etc etc so on and so on?
Monday, February 26th, 2018 AT 8:50 AM
KEN
If the needle looks the same you should be fine.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 11:25 AM
IGENIUS92
Ok so update about the gauges not reading correctly on my 98 Chevy camaro, I pulled the pcm/injector fuse and disconnected my battery for about an hour thinking it would help reset the cluster, I removed the needles and placed them in what I thought is the proper place, had to get towed home last night because I drove the car quite a while looking at the gauges mph and rpm seem to look ok but I didn't notice the gas gauge not moving and ran out of gas, sucks I know can you please please help me getting my gauges back on track and reading correctly, is there anything that can be done?
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 11:35 AM
KEN
Bummer, can you take a picture or video and upload it to the site here so I can see whats going on? It sounds like you may have a bad ground for the cluster. Show me what the gauges do with the key on and then start the engine.

Thanks, Ken
Thursday, March 1st, 2018 AT 10:33 AM
IGENIUS92
Sure here's a video of it.
Friday, March 2nd, 2018 AT 11:26 AM
KEN
Great video btw! really helps me see whats going on. I would unplug the cluster and test for proper ground and power, Here is a guide to show you how.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Here is the wiring diagrams so you can see which wires to test also check fuse # 9 and #7. Both pink and red should have power with the key on.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, March 2nd, 2018 AT 2:09 PM
IGENIUS92
Wonderful and thank you so much for taking the time to help me I really appreciate it! I will get a test light and run the tests and test the fuses as you said I will keep you updated thanks ken!
Friday, March 2nd, 2018 AT 5:09 PM
IGENIUS92
So update I checked the wires and seem to be fine, I went ton the junk yard and grabbed another cluster identical to my original one plugged it in but I can't tell if it's accurate geez I wished I never touched those needles I'm having such a difficult time.
Sunday, March 4th, 2018 AT 1:26 PM
KEN
Yep the cluster can be delicate. What is the new cluster doing, does it act normal?
Monday, March 5th, 2018 AT 10:49 AM
IGENIUS92
Well it's seems to be acting ok but when the car is off and no key in the ignition the gas gauge moves up to a little passed a quarter of a tank and when I turn the key in the start position the needle drops to empty but there is gas in the vehicle and the battery gauge doesn't seem to be reading it's full voltage.
Monday, March 5th, 2018 AT 11:03 AM
KEN
Okay if the rest of the gauges work okay there is a fuel level sender that has gone out in the tank which is part of the fuel pump module. Check the wire for continuity and if okay replace the sender. You will need to remove the tank to do so.

Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

On you car you will need to drop the differential down.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Monday, March 5th, 2018 AT 11:25 AM
IGENIUS92
I see, but the fuel pump was just replaced brand new about 2 years ago and the fuel gauge was working just fine before I took the needles off, so you relay think it's the pump all of a sudden?Geez that would really suck if it is. How would I diagnose it to know for sure?
Monday, March 5th, 2018 AT 11:29 AM
KEN
The only way to tell for sure is to remove the sender and check the resistance as you move the float up and down. But since it happened since you had the cluster out I would double check the electrical connector at the cluster to see if the pin has pulled out causing an open connection.

Use this guide to check the wire from the sender to the cluster continuity.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

There is nothing in between you can tell by the wiring diagrams.

Let me know,

Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 AT 12:05 PM
IGENIUS92
Hi Ken I have a question how would I test the fuel sensor sending unit aka "float" on my 97 Chevy camaro v6 3800 series engine? If I were to use the trap door in the trunk instead of dropping the tank and remove the fuel pump itself what measures should I go about testing the sensor "float" on the pump using a multimeter tester?What wires should I connect to to get a proper reading?And where is the fuel pump relay should I check that too?What exactly does a fuel pump relay do?
Friday, March 9th, 2018 AT 9:25 AM
KEN
O ya you can do that no problem it is the purple wire use a volt meter to a metal part of the fuel pump module and move the float up and down then you can see the resistance change.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, March 9th, 2018 AT 5:52 PM
IGENIUS92
Ok will do thanks!
Friday, March 9th, 2018 AT 6:37 PM
IGENIUS92
Hello well here's an update I so I finally got the fuel pump assembly out to test heres a video or two I think the float aka sensor is working properly but I'm not to sure, I'd just really like to figure out my gas gauge issue not working please help!
Sunday, March 18th, 2018 AT 10:59 PM
KEN
The float is working good so that is not the problem. You must be loosing signal in the wire or the gas gauge itself is bad. Go ahead and connect the sender and do the same test at the cluster, you should be able to see the same results at the cluster. (Purple wire) nice work on the videos BTW
Monday, March 19th, 2018 AT 10:52 AM