Starter not working?

RED_WING45
  • 1991 CHEVROLET CAMARO
1991 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

i have a 91 camaro, I put a starter in it wont start. The guy got a key cut, he said from a dealer. Whats wrong help. Ty john
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 2:06 PM

MERLIN2021
John if you can give me a biit more info, I need to know if it cranks? Or does nothing?
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 AT 11:19 PM
RED_WING45
Hi, john here my 91 camaro does not start or nothing no sound at all. The guy cut a key for it.
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 AT 1:11 PM
RED_WING45
I have a key but no chip in it. Can I get a used ingition and key from a junk yard and make it work.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 4:43 PM
MERLIN2021
It may be the wrong key, or it may be the wire for keysense broke in the column, but it sounds like an ignition/key problem, Do all lights and radio work? Or is the car dead? And have you checked the cable going to the starter?

Some dont even have the chip. It can be the starer solenoid at the starter on GM. For an "engine not cranking" condition with A/T, determine if condition exists in both Park and Neutral positions. If condition occurs in one position and not other, a more probable cause is neutral start switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_NSS_1.jpg

Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 4:53 PM
RED_WING45
Can I use another ingition from another 91 camaro
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 5:07 PM
MERLIN2021
Yes but you need to reassemble it without breaking the wire. But you should test for power at these other locations. If the VIN was given to the Dealer that made the key, they should have given him the right one. Neutral saftey, bad connections at starter, bad starter, or blown fuse can all do this to you! Checked all fuses? Even the ones under the hood? Checked for power at the wires on the starter when in crank?
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 8:06 AM
RED_WING45
Do you know the ohms for a 91 camaro was going to try to bypass the vat system
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 1:15 PM
MERLIN2021
The original Key needs to be looked at for a resistor chip, then measured...Call Chevy dealer with your VIN and see if the can look it up "as built" Then you'll know for sure. Behind the right side of the dash is the passenger key decoder module. If it has one, then your car should have a chip on the key.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_cam_1.jpg

Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 2:59 PM
RED_WING45
I dont have the original key for my 91 camaro. Dealers want alot of money to help.
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 12:00 PM
RED_WING45
What video are you talking about ty john
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 12:49 PM
MERLIN2021
THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do, is go to Chevy dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number, it's on the dash behind the left side of the windshield, have them make a key with your V.I.N. This will ensure you have a key that should work, until then, we cant measure the resistance on the key, or start the car.
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 3:50 PM
RED_WING45
Do you have to remove the plug to test the resisters so it will start. There is a plug like there I tryed it and no luck with the plug there is two wires passed the plug there are purple and white is that the ones it a 91 camaro ty john.
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 11:43 AM
MERLIN2021
Check your email for testing everything reated to the security system. Special interrogator tool needed to test for the correct resistance, or VIN taken to Chevy.
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 12:55 PM