1989 Chevrolet Camaro Wont start or turn over

BROM
  • 1989 CHEVROLET CAMARO
Okay. I recently purchased an 1989 RS Camaro, it has a 2.8 v6 engine and was running fine. However, yesterday morning it wouldn't crank up, much less turn over. So over the course of the last 2 days ive done research both online and in my Hanes Repair Manual, I've checked the starter, the battery, the battery cables, the fusible links, and the solenoid, all of which were fine, other than I needed to tighten a nut on the solenoid that held the fusible links and power cable to the solenoid, which then got the seat belt light, and the fuel pump up and running again. The only two other lights that illuminate are the emergency brake light and the service engine soon light. And no, the security light doesn't come on, nor does it flash on and off. The radio works, as well as the head lights. Im all out of ideas. Can you help me figure out what the issue is and how to best resolve it?
Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 AT 6:28 PM

Is the problem that the starter won't engage? If so, have you checked to see if there is power to the smaller wire going to the starter when the key is in the start position? Have you checked the starter relay for power?
Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 AT 6:56 PM
BROM
Now that you mention it, the starter wasnt engaging. I will check the wires and get back to you. Thank you :)
Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 AT 7:56 PM
Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 AT 6:17 PM
BROM
I forgot to mention, when I turn the key, the starter wont turn over, it only turns over, when I put the two wire ends on the starter. And it's been raining the last few days so I haven't had a chance to check the wire and relay yet, but I plan to today if the weather holds out
Saturday, July 20th, 2013 AT 8:25 AM
Have you had a chance to work on it?
Saturday, August 10th, 2013 AT 9:10 PM
BROM
I took it to a mechanic, all he told me is that I wasn't getting electricity to one side of my crank fuse, so I put a push button in, until I can invest some time into figuring that out. In the mean time I'm trying to find out why I smell something burning if I push the gas pedal down too far, why my RPM's are so high, and why its not accelerating and shifting gears like it should. It has an automatic transmission.
Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 AT 4:14 PM
Is the transmission slipping? Check the trans fluid and see if it is brown and has a burnt smell to it.
Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 AT 8:50 PM
BROM
The person I bought it from recently had a new transmission put in, a checked the fluid the other day and it was purple and up to the correct amount. Today I was driving and when I mashed the gas, what ever the burning smell was must have finally given way because my RPM's shot up to 7000, and stayed there until I took my foot off the gas. Then the RPM's went back to their usual, which is still too high, for example I can be driving 55 and the RPM's can be any were from 4000 to 5500. But ever since it shot up to 7000 I can be driving along and it will go up to 6000 and stay there, until I take my foot off the gas.
Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 AT 2:23 PM
Either the transmission isn't shifting up or it is slipping. Based on your description, it sounds like it is slipping.
Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 AT 8:16 PM