1996 Chevy Blazer 1996 Blazer overheating

PENFAN
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 1996 Blazer it just started to overheat. On the temp guage when it reaches 210 it doesn't want to go over 40-45 mph. I have changed the egr value, thermostat, and checked the fluid in the radiator. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 AT 6:22 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
Did you check the fan(s)? You have a clutch fan that is run by the belt. Try moving the fan from side to side if there is any play then the fan clutch needs to be replaced. If all it tight spin the fan, Then warm up the vehicle, spin fan again, did it spin the same? If so replace fan clutch.

Now some also have an eletric fan. If it does then start vehicle and turn A/C. Does the fan come on?

Post responses here in forum.
Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 9:10 PM
PENFAN
There is no play in the fan. With the engine cold the fan is a little hard to spin. After the engine is warmed up the fan spins freely.
Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 9:55 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
OK, there is you problem. The fan cold should spin but with some tightness. The fan warm or hot should be tighter than cold. The way it works is it has a reastat that as it heats up it tightens to draw more air throught through the Radiator for better cooling.

Replace the Fan Clutch
Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 10:12 PM