Car engine will not start up?

ALISHA7
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
  • 200 MILES
Just replaced all 4 coil packs and now car wont start. What could be the problem?
Saturday, February 29th, 2020 AT 8:08 AM

KASEKENNY1
This sounds like a fuel pump or the crankshaft angels sensor has gone out. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

So the car was running before you did this and now it is not running? Is there more to this story or is this all of it?

If it was running and you only put 4 coils on it then we need to verify if we are getting spark. I would pull out one of the coils and plug and put the plug in the coil and then hold it against the block to see if it is sparking. If not then we can chase down this issue.

Lastly we need to check all fuses just to make sure we don't have any blown. Clearly replace any that are and we can go from there. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is. Thanks
Saturday, February 29th, 2020 AT 10:58 AM
ALISHA7
The car's check engine light started flashing. Had to drive car home it sat for a couple days and then when I went to move it it started and then shut off on me. When I Googled to see what could be the problem it said the coil packs. When I went to start it my husband said it was the first one so we replaced all 4. When he took out the spark plug from that one it was completely black. So we replaced all spark plugs and put coils in. Car wants to turn over but wont.
Saturday, February 29th, 2020 AT 11:11 AM
ALISHA7
Any more suggestions?
+1
Saturday, February 29th, 2020 AT 2:11 PM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. That helps. Thanks for that info. We need to start with checking for codes.

Your vehicle needs three things to get the engine to run. Spark at the right time, fuel, and compression.

If the check engine light was flashing that means there was a major issue with the engine and most likely doing damage to it or the exhaust due to a misfire. However, the codes will tell us better as to what is happening.

Due to finding the plugs black that means the engine was running very rich which will also explain the flashing check engine light.

Let's start with the codes and then crank the engine and pull a couple plugs and see if they smell like fuel. Next while you have the plug out, connect it back to the coil and hold it against the block while cranking the engine to ensure we have spark. Let me know these things and I am sure we can figure out what happened and how to fix it. Thanks
-1
Saturday, February 29th, 2020 AT 3:40 PM
ROAB
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
My car listed above is the EX model. It cranks but does not start! It was sleeping in front of my house for two months at least.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 10:28 AM (Merged)
HEYMAN1104
Engines need several things in order to start. They need (1) fuel, (2) air, (3) compression, (4) sparks, and (5) 1-4 have to be on time, in the correct strength/amount. Unfortunately, when you get over 150,000 miles on any vehicle, any of those could be the problem. The most common causes are with (1) and (4).

I would start with simply listening for the sound of the fuel pump coming on. When you turn the key on, without turning the engine over, the pump should come on for two to three seconds. It makes a humming sound. If you can, get a helper to turn the key on while you listen for it. If you do not hear it come on, try tapping on the bottom of the tank with a hammer or other blunt object immediately after the helper turns the key on. If you then hear the pump come on, then you need a new fuel pump. Simple as that.

If you still do not hear the pump come on, then you need to check the fuses. There is a fuse box diagram attached below. The fuse box to look at is the one that is under the hood, along the left side. In particular, look at the fuses for "fuel pump", "ECM/TCM," "PWR Train," and "ENG Ign."

If the pump is coming on, the next easy thing to check is for sparks. You can do this with a tester that is available at AutoZone or any other auto parts store. Here is a link for one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-Inline-Spark-Tester/dp/B0002STSC6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501325755&sr=8-3&keywords=spark+tester

Basically, you pull the plug wire off of the ignition coil (also pictured below) and plug in this tester between the coil and the plug wire. Then get someone to turn the key while you observe it. If it flashes, then you have spark. Check all of the cylinders.

Let us know and we will go from there. There are more advanced tests that you can do for free or very cheap. We will go through them if needed.
-1
CHRISTIAN01082000
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
I have a problem with my LX model. I shut my car off at a gas station and I went inside the store and came back out and my car would not start. The green key on the cluster display is no longer showing and it will turn over but still no start. Any suggestions would very well be appreciated.
It sounds like the immobilizer unit has failed. That is a dealer repair. However, here is the procedure and a picture of the immobilizer if you want to try it yourself.

Remove the dashboard lower cover.
Remove the steering column covers.
Disconnect the 7P connector (A) from the immobilizer control unit-receiver (B).
Remove the two screws and the immobilizer control unit-receiver from the ignition key cylinder (c).
Install the immobilizer control unit-receiver in the reverse order of removal.
After replacement, rewrite the unit with a Honda PGM Tester, then check the immobilizer system.
CAR_LOS
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
My honda civic 2002 ex cranks but does not start. Spark plugs are new, there is fuel pressure in the fuel lines, I change the cam and crank shaft position sensor. I read online that it could be the PGM-FI main relay but I can't find it. I looked every where under the passenger and driver side of the dashboard. I don't know if this specific model has it or not. Any advice to where it is the main relay or something else? I really need some advice. Any help would be really appreciated.
Here is a picture of my fuse box under the hood. Jus in case is one of those relays. Thanks.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 10:29 AM (Merged)
I need you to check if you are getting spark to the plugs. Also, if the fuel pressure to the rail is within the manufacturer's specs, check to see if the injectors are getting power. Use a noid light to check for that. Most parts stores will lend you one if you need. Let me know what you find.
BGRICH2003
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Recently there was a squeaking noise coming from the hood. Then I found the ac/compressor pulley was bad the bearing went. So I decided to replace the entire compressor. It was easy enough to replace. I haven't charged the system because I wanted to see if it was aligned properly before I did. I tried turning on the car but it doesn't start now. Any help would be appreciated.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 10:32 AM (Merged)
FIXITMR
1 way is remove plug wire from sparkplug, insert a spare plug. lay on metal ground surface. turn car over. watch tip for spark.

Please run down this guide and report back.
BGRICH2003
That is possible. The only thing I can think of is I had to cut the connector off the old ac compressor and splice it to the new one. So maybe I mixed up wires. Does anybody have a wiring diagram so I can see which wire is the ground and which ones are for the switch. Everything else looks okay. BTW thanks for your help fixitmir
FIXITMR
Try unplugging compressor to see if it starts? Did you check for spark?
BGRICH2003
I unplugged compressor and it didn't start. As far as the spark I wasn't too successful, since I don't have a spare spark plug to leave in. I don't want to just leave it open. So I'll have to get a spare tomorrow. Once again thanks for your help I'll let you know how that goes.
BGRICH2003
Ok I checked the spark plug for a spark and it had one. I also changed the spark plugs while I was there. So I replaced the PCM relay and it worked! Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.
FIXITMR
Your not out of gas are you? Try putting some gas into intake or spraying some spray start in there and see if it fires?
TOMGIAO
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Car start went engine is cool but went you run for a little bit turn off turn back on it won't start. Have to Waite for about 45 minutes, went car is cool down then it will start. What is the problem.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 10:33 AM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Possibilities are aplenty and guessing do not work.
You need to find out what is missing causing the non starting and proceed from there.
It could be fuel or ignition/electrically related and the link below explains what to look for and how to go about testing.

LSMAG214
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
I was driving my car yesterday and it was low on gas but it was driving fine. I parking it on a hill where the front of the car was at the top of the hill. I tried to start my car this morning and it would start and then go off after a minute and the gas light came on. Did I just run out of gas or what?

Sponsored links