Car cranks but won't start

JAG6492
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC

01 civic cranks but won't start. It just started one morning with out any prior problems. Don't have spark in any of the cylinders. Fuel pressure is within specs. Connected noid light on each injector and none of them lights up when cranking the engine. Timing belt in good condition and not slipping. All fuses/relays in good condition(working). CMP sensor is about one year old. Compression is 130psi in 3 cylinders and about 110 in one. Jag. Auto. Tech@gmail. Com

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:11 AM

ASEMASTER6371

Very common for the distributor to fail. Check powers and grounds. If it is ok, I would get a rebuilt unit and install it. It can only go in one way.

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:26 AM
JAG6492

If you read my message you see that about 90% of the things you tell me to do I already did it. The car has coil on plugs. They are getting ground and 12v. If fuel pressure is within specs(40psi) Its telling that fuel pump and regulator are working. Please somebody with more help.

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

Don't have spark in any of the cylinders. You don't have spark she'll never fire up-start testing the ignition system and follow my suggestions-don't expect a quick fix bcuz its free this can be a nightmare.

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:35 AM
JAG6492

Thanks, but Im stuck. The coil on plugs have 3 wires(power, ground, and v-ref). Its getting 12.54v to each plug and ground, but not spark. All I have left, I think, to check is the CKP and ECM. Oh, and what could be making the injectors to don't work neither?

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:48 AM

Check and test the cam and crank sensors

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM
BRYAN08

Jag6942 I have the same problem with my car. Did you get the car running. Thanks

Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 5:11 PM
FRANNY275
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

My car wont start. The battery is not the problem though since the electrical components still run fine, I just cant get the engine to turn over and start

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:38 AM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

Have you tried starting it in neutral.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:38 AM
JETLALA
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

2001 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

hi, 2001 honda civic lx manual. Suddenly will not start. New spark plugs. Recently tuned. Each coil gives off spark, and fuel pump is operational. Any suggestions?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Have spark
have fuel and injector pulse
than check timing
do a compression test

*****************************************
need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
B18A1_NA
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

My sisters car had an oil leak but she was still driving it, she let a friend borrow it and when he was in the drive thru it truned off, he turned it back on and started driving home, about a block from his house going uphill it shut off again, he added oil not sure if after the first time it shut off or second time but either way he put too much. He had it towed to my home at that point the car would not turn on, so I went ahead and fixed the oil leak ( wich turns out it was leaking from the front cam seal near the sprocket) I went ahead and put a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, front oil seal and cam seal, I drained some oil out of it. But now the car still wont turn on I just finished a few hrs ago tried to start it a few times seemed like it wanted to turn on but it dose not turn on. In the morning I will try to turn it on again and I will also check the spark plug to see if theres any oil on them. Any help or suggestions is appreciated

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
B18A1_NA
  • MERGED

Thanks for your quick reply, the next day I drain a little bit more oil and now it turns on but only after putting starter fuild in it, it starts for about 10 secs then it turns off on its own if I try to press on the gas pedal it bogs out and shuts off aswell. I checked the timing and its dead on. So final conclusion it turns on but shuts off, turns on easier and stays on longer with starter fluid but still shuts off?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

Sounds like you should be testing the fuel pressure as previously advised.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
B18A1_NA
  • MERGED

Well thank you for your help it turns out the fuel pump was bad she didnt mention a crash in the vehicle a few years back, which caused the fuel pump to go bad. It just happened to go bad while it also had an oil leak. The suprising thing is it was drivable for that long with a busted fuel pump? Thanks!

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

You're welcome

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM
CRAZYSOPH@COMCAST.NET
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

I ran out of gas in my 01'honda civic EX, I put about 2 gallons of gas(i was told the gas could have been a little old) in and drove it less than a mile and it sputterd to a stoped. Now it won't start, even after putting about 5 more gallons of fresh gas. The engin sounds like it wants to but it just wont turn over. I checked the fuses they are ok. So what could it be?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM
WILDCARD007
  • MERGED

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM
CRAZYSOPH@COMCAST.NET
  • MERGED

YEP, I toed it to the honda dealership and the replaced the feul pump. So its back on the road. That is untill I get the parts for strut replacement. And engine mounts.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM
BIRDDOG596
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

Also how can you tell if the immobilizer is bad

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM