Car cranks but won't start

JAG6492
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
01 civic cranks but won't start. It just started one morning with out any prior problems. Don't have spark in any of the cylinders. Fuel pressure is within specs. Connected noid light on each injector and none of them lights up when cranking the engine. Timing belt in good condition and not slipping. All fuses/relays in good condition(working). CMP sensor is about one year old. Compression is 130psi in 3 cylinders and about 110 in one. Jag. Auto. Tech@gmail. Com
Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:11 AM

There are 2 PGM FI relays that need to be checked because it sounds like on of them is not working here is a guide to help you do some testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Here are the engine wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works and the relay and fuse locations which also should be checked.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:35 AM
JAG6492
Thanks, but Im stuck. The coil on plugs have 3 wires(power, ground, and v-ref). Its getting 12.54v to each plug and ground, but not spark. All I have left, I think, to check is the CKP and ECM. Oh, and what could be making the injectors to don't work neither? I gave it some thought and checked the PGM FI relay and it was hot to the touch so I replaced it now the engine started and runs great! Thanks for the diagrams.
+2
Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 2:48 AM
FRANNY275
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
My car wont start. The battery is not the problem though since the electrical components still run fine, I just cant get the engine to turn over and start
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:38 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
Have you tried starting it in neutral?

Here is a guide that can help you see whats wrong.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what happens.
-1
B18A1_NA
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
My sisters car had an oil leak but she was still driving it, she let a friend borrow it and when he was in the drive thru it truned off, he turned it back on and started driving home, about a block from his house going uphill it shut off again, he added oil not sure if after the first time it shut off or second time but either way he put too much. He had it towed to my home at that point the car would not turn on, so I went ahead and fixed the oil leak ( wich turns out it was leaking from the front cam seal near the sprocket) I went ahead and put a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, front oil seal and cam seal, I drained some oil out of it. But now the car still wont turn on I just finished a few hrs ago tried to start it a few times seemed like it wanted to turn on but it dose not turn on. In the morning I will try to turn it on again and I will also check the spark plug to see if theres any oil on them. Any help or suggestions is appreciated
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
B18A1_NA
Thanks for your quick reply, the next day I drain a little bit more oil and now it turns on but only after putting starter fuild in it, it starts for about 10 secs then it turns off on its own if I try to press on the gas pedal it bogs out and shuts off aswell. I checked the timing and its dead on. So final conclusion it turns on but shuts off, turns on easier and stays on longer with starter fluid but still shuts off?
WRENCHTECH
Sounds like you should be testing the fuel pressure as previously advised.
B18A1_NA
Well thank you for your help it turns out the fuel pump was bad she didnt mention a crash in the vehicle a few years back, which caused the fuel pump to go bad. It just happened to go bad while it also had an oil leak. The suprising thing is it was drivable for that long with a busted fuel pump? Thanks!
WRENCHTECH
You're welcome
+1
CRAZYSOPH@COMCAST.NET
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
I ran out of gas in my 01'honda civic EX, I put about 2 gallons of gas(i was told the gas could have been a little old) in and drove it less than a mile and it sputterd to a stoped. Now it won't start, even after putting about 5 more gallons of fresh gas. The engin sounds like it wants to but it just wont turn over. I checked the fuses they are ok. So what could it be?
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM (Merged)
WILDCARD007
Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
-1
CRAZYSOPH@COMCAST.NET
YEP, I toed it to the honda dealership and the replaced the feul pump. So its back on the road. That is untill I get the parts for strut replacement. And engine mounts.
BIRDDOG596
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
Also how can you tell if the immobilizer is bad
-1
SATURNTECH9
Do you have any codes?Also is the security light on solid or flashing?
BIRDDOG596
It has a coolant sensor code high volatage and it flashes after cranking
VISION901
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
Engine Mechanical problem 2001 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 82922 miles I have a '01 honda civic. I don't know if its the starter or the battery. When I try start my car, it makes a clicking noise. I can turn it on to listen to the radio, but my car won't. What do you think is the problem.
BLACKOP555
It is either corroded or loose battery connections, a bad battery or weak battery.

Or les likely a bad starter solenoid/relay or starter.
RX_QUEEN02
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
2001 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 102000 miles

I recently bought a new battery, and now my car does not start. The lights are not left on and do not go dim when driving. Car starts with a jump start, but overnight seems to die out. Is this an alternator problem?
F4I_GUY
Have an AVR test done. It could be an alternator issue or a battery drain issue.