Car will not start

JOSEPHGRAHAM
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Has some issues with transmission slipping, and starting. Last week replaced the distributor cap, and rotor button. Started and ran fine twice, then wouldn't start, changed spark plugs, and ignition coil. Ran fine for two weeks and is not starting again. It seems to not be getting fuel. You can hear the pump kick on. But it just cranks and won't start. No idea what to do. Anyone else who might have had some similar problems? I'm not sure of if it's part of the problem or not but the last two times it's shut off it has been after it started up just fine and was put in reverse and then once turned around in put into drive shut off instead of going anywhere. I don't know if there's some kind of correlation or not. I'm thinking fuel filter, fuel rail or line or something.
Friday, March 8th, 2019 AT 6:35 AM

Welcome to 2CarPros

There are many things that can cause this to happen. However, based on your description, I would like you to check if there is spark to the plugs. Here is a link that shows how it is done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

If you find no spark, my first suspect is the crankshaft position sensor. Take a look at this link.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor

Check to see if there is spark to the plugs let me know what you find.

As far as fuel, yes, it could be related, but usually it's all or nothing with a pump. If you want to check it, here is a link that shows how to check for pressure:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Here are directions specific to your vehicle for testing fuel pressure. The manufacturer's specs are included in the directions. Pic 1 correlates with these directions.

1. Relieve fuel pressure.
2. Remove the service bolt on the fuel filter while holding the banjo bolt with another wrench. Attach the special tool.
3. Start the engine. * Measure the fuel pressure with the engine idling and the vacuum hose of the fuel pressure regulator disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator and pinched.

Pressure should be: 304 - 353 kPa (3.1 - 3.6 kgf/cm2, 44 - 51psi)

See Pic 1

4. Reconnect vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

Pressure should be: 245 - 294 kPa (2.5 - 3.0 kgf/cm2, 36 - 43 psi)

*: If the engine will not start, turn the ignition switch on, wait for two seconds, turn it off, then back on again and read the fuel pressure.

If the fuel pressure is not as specified, first check the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is okay, check the following:

- If the fuel pressure is higher than specified, inspect for:
Pinched or clogged fuel return hose or line.
Faulty fuel pressure regulator.
- If the fuel pressure is lower than specified, inspect for:
Clogged fuel filter.
Faulty fuel pressure regulator.
Leakage in the fuel line.

_________________________________________________

If you haven't already scanned for diagnostic trouble codes, I recommend it.

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Friday, March 8th, 2019 AT 8:54 PM