Car stalls while driving

JERRY1150
  • 2000 DODGE NEON
I will be driving and all lights dim, rpm's drop, then car stalls. After about four minutes I can start it and drive again but only a few miles. Cannot figure out the problem.
Friday, January 12th, 2018 AT 1:29 PM

If you can catch it while the engine will not crank, turn the head lights on so you have something to watch, then pop the hood and follow the smaller battery positive wire to the under-hood fuse box. Tighten that connection. If you see the head lights get brighter, that connection was loose or dirty.
Friday, January 12th, 2018 AT 5:33 PM
HEYMAN1104
If you do not mind me jumping in here, I was kind of thinking it could be a fuel delivery issue (bad pump) and not necessarily a charging system problem. A simple test is to spray some starting fluid down the intake when it will not start, then crank the engine and see if it fires. If it does fire and then shuts off, it is a fuel flow issue. You would need to borrow a fuel pressure tester from the local auto parts store do a more thorough test of the pump.

Let us know.
Friday, January 12th, 2018 AT 8:04 PM
JERRY1150
I had the battery and alternator test and it was fine, but I will see about the fuel thing.
Saturday, January 13th, 2018 AT 12:33 PM
This is not a charging system problem. It is not a fuel pump problem either. That would not cause the lights to dim. Also, about ninety nine percent of fuel pumps on GM products will start up fine, then fail while you're driving, leaving you sitting on the side of the road. Ninety nine percent of Chrysler pumps fail by failing to start up. Leaving you sitting in the driveway or parking lot. It is extremely uncommon for a Chrysler pump to fail while you are driving. The only Chrysler pumps I have ever seen stop running during the drive were caused by corroded connector terminals at the pump and one burned connector caused by it not being fully-seated.
Saturday, January 13th, 2018 AT 1:38 PM
HEYMAN1104
I've personally had a 2000ish neon do this. It was a failing fuel pump. That's why I suggested checking it. You could drive it a few minutes and it would die. Wait a while and it would crank up and idle.
Saturday, January 13th, 2018 AT 7:15 PM
I have to add that to my memory banks. This is a good time to drive around with a fuel pressure gauge clipped under a wiper arm. I did have this happen too on my '88 Grand Caravan, twice, but it was the pickup screen that was plugged. It ran fine at highway speed, but stalled when the highest volume of fuel was being pumped, which was during coasting. Took me four hours to get through Minneapolis the first time, then it ran fine the next three hours. The second time I had the gauge on it, and found the fuel pressure dropped very slowly only when dragging a huge tandem axle enclosed trailer that's bigger than the van. Normal pressure was 50 psi, and it didn't start to sputter until it slowly dropped to 20 psi. It would jump right back up if I let off the accelerator for an instant. Nursed it for over 500 miles like that over about two weeks. It didn't totally stall until it hit 15 psi.
Monday, January 15th, 2018 AT 7:11 PM