Car cut out

GGGGG1987
  • 2005 HONDA CIVIC
I was driving to the shop and I think I heard a whining noise but not sure. Then my radio just cut out, I kept switching it back on, but it would only last a couple of seconds without signal and switch back off again. Then when I went into the shop I left my car running I came out and when I went to reverse back I turned the steering wheel and my EPS light came on my steering locked and my car cut out and now it will not start. I do not know anything about cars so any information would be grateful.
Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 AT 6:03 AM

"Does not start" can mean different things. I am guessing the starter does not crank the engine fast enough for it to start and run. Based on the progression of symptoms, the typical cause is a failure of the charging system to recharge the battery. You should have seen the "battery" warning light on the dash. The car will be running on just the battery until it runs down, and that will last from a half hour to perhaps as much as an hour. As the voltage in the electrical system slowly drops, various computers will start to shut down, in this case, starting with the radio.

The engine should start with a jump-start, then immediately have the charging system tested. Those tests only take a few minutes. I have been reading way too much lately about the severe damage people do when jump-starting an engine incorrectly, or when they connect battery cables backward. When you connect jumper cables, one connects to the positive post on one car, and the positive post on the other car. The second cable connects to the negative post on both cars.
Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 AT 5:27 PM
GGGGG1987
When I jump start it will I have to keep it on the leads to get enough charge to take my car home as it is still at the shop I stay five minutes from there I do not want to be driving it and it cuts out at a dangerous place. Do you think it could be the alternator?
Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 AT 11:36 PM
A jump-start will get it going right away, but the battery needs to have enough charge to keep the electrical system running for the drive home. Leave the cables on for a good ten minutes or more. The best would be to use a portable charger to charge the battery at a slow rate for an hour or two. To make the battery last as long as possible, turn off the radio, heater fan, and all possible lights. Drive away before the engine has a chance to warm up. That will reduce the likelihood of the electric radiator fan having to turn on.

The generator is the best suspect, but we normally want to rule out wiring problems first.
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 6:39 PM