Starting issues 93 Civic

CALIGURL4EVR
  • 1993 HONDA CIVIC
Hi, I have a 93 Honda civic that I have had battery issues with for a while. I recently bought a new battery, but the positive cable has been lose. I had issues starting the car, but wiggling the cable around usually worked for this. The other day, though, it took several tries for the car to start. I tried to start it later that day, and it wouldn't do anything but emit a low buzz sound like something was trying to charge. It tried to turn over once, but died imediately. I tried jump starting it today, but nothing happened. I am wondering if it is the alternator or the starter. I have never had problems with either one of those, so am not sure what the signs are that they are bad. Please help.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 8:18 PM

The battery will not recharge efficiently if that cable is loose. Chances are that is all that is wrong, but now the battery will need to be recharged after fixing the loose cable.

To test the charging system, use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure battery voltage while the engine is running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it stays near 12.6 volts, the generator is not working.

Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 9:10 PM