1999 Buick Lesabre failure to start

PAULS
  • 1999 BUICK LESABRE
My 1999 buick lesabre is heat sensitive. On hot days when parked on the blacktop it wont start. Acts like no spark as the engine turns over quickly and does not give any indication it is trying to start. If you pour water over the engine it fires right up and usually is fine. On really hot days it will run a bit rough on the freeway. I have changed the fuel pump and the electronic ignition module, the coils read within reccomended tolerances when tested with an ohm meter. Strangely the car even when it has sat for hours on the hot pavement feels very hot and steams like crazy when you pour water on the engine. It then starts up. Also never have any problem when the weather is cool.I live in redding california so 110 degree days are not horribly uncommon and have not doubt that blacktop temps exceed 150 degrees
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 12:33 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Well you have a testing method going. We have done similiar in similiar situation. Instead of pouring water, take a rag or washcloth and soak it in a bucket of ice cold water. When the no start happens, place it specifically on particular components.

I would not assume the ignition module is good because it is new. Might be bad out of the box.

Using the cooling method of testing should lead you to the component.

Unless you have a scanner that can read the data stream, or a spark tester, this is an inexpensive way to flush out the source.

Check the connector at the module for being clean.

You can try disconnecting the coolant temp sensor and see if that makes a difference.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 6:22 AM
PAULS
I have been unable to determine the cause of the problem by using water to cool a part or by using a heat gun to apply heat.

A friend has a professional type scan tool (more sophisticated than the run of the mill OBD II. It reads recent fault codes reflecting high signat at MAP sensor as well as p1361 and p1362 which seem to indicate either a bad wire harness connection in the ignition system (though we could not find one) or an Ignition module or ecm failure.

Could the symptom be a bad MAP Sensor, where should I start?
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 4:04 AM
SERVICE WRITER
I would go back to the ignition module. Even though you replaced it, I have seen multipul failures with some brands. Either find a known good module from a junk yard or get a delphi or a/c delco module.
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM