Engine wont start

RABBOTT
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
2000 Buick LeSabre will turn over but no start seems like it has fuel pressure, some anyway I dont think it is getting spark, any thoughts?
Thursday, November 18th, 2010 AT 11:20 PM

It sounds like you have a cranks angle sensor that is out. Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when replacing the sensor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Friday, November 19th, 2010 AT 12:34 AM
THOR68372ROCKON
I would first see if it stored any codes in the computer.(CODE SCAN)Depending on what code it threw out, it can tell you what to look at next(short cut)Pull A Spark Plug Out, Does not Matter Which One. Put Plug wire back on spark plug, touch threaded part of Spark plug to head or metal bracket, hold with rubber insulated pliers, have someone turn engine over and watch for a spark at tip of spark plug. If there is spark, you just ruled out fire, now on to the fuel. You will need a fuel pressure tester to test the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure regulator (Rent at Advance Auto I Think)Check your Specifications in a chiltons manual for correct fuel pressure at regulator. If no Pressure or LOW pressure I Would probably look at the fuel pump (1st Check Fuse or relay). I would say check fuel filter but never in my 27 yrs. Wrench turning have I ran across one so bad it would not start.
+2
Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 2:51 AM
JUSTTHINKIN
In case you have tried everything else:

I have a 2000 Buick Le Sabre. I replaced alternator and pulled some fuses and engine would crank, and occasionally start for a revolution or two, but that was it. No start. No code thrown. Security light not flashing.

Checked fuel pressure its okay!

Then I noticed the two of the three screws in the forward fuse holder were loose. I tightened those and instant start. The screws secure the big connectors below. When the screws loosened, pulling a fuse was just enough for connectors below to loose contact. Still no start, Then I replaced the crankshaft sensor and BAM! The engine started.

Thanks 2Carpros
+3
Wednesday, November 4th, 2015 AT 10:20 AM
DONNA BROWN BROOKS
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
Car will not start no radio, but all the light on the dash door will not work power window will not work and it is saying unknown driver.
Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 AT 6:28 PM (Merged)
Try resetting security system on car if no owners manual look online for your car. But from sounds of this it is going to need a trip to repair shop and scanned for codes.
+2
BASSN T-VILLE
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
When you turn the engine over, it sounds like it is trying but it will not catch. There are no codes.
I have fuel pressure at the rail. I checked all 3 coil packs (Very close together on ohms readings and within spec's). I had Auto Zone check the ECM 3 times and it passed every time. I suspect the crank position sensor is bad but don't want to remove the harmonic balance unless I am sure.
If that is it, would I be better off changing the camshaft position sensor while I am "n the area"?
Try resetting security system first see pic
BASSN T-VILLE
HMAC300: THANX for the quick response! I will try that tomorrow night, However, I have a question? The pic says the theft light will shut off after 10 minutes AND the whole process has to be repeated 3 times within 30 minutes. If everything works right, the whole process repeated 3 times adds up to about 31 minutes.
+1
I didn't create the instructions just passing them on. You can do it once it may start but if the second time the light goes out time is diminished
BASSN T-VILLE
Sorry, I didn't mean anything by that. I know you are just passing it along. I will try it tomorrow, all 3 times if need be. I will let you know what happens.
BASSN T-VILLE
HMAC: Tried the reset tonight. Didn't make a difference. I did discover that that might be a typo. The light went off after about 10 seconds. I even went through twice to make sure.
It looks like I will try the sensor tomorrow night.
JOHNNYD123
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
I have a 2000 buick lesabre and a few days ago I was driving it just fine, then I take it home and park it in my garage. Next morning it won't start! When I go to turn the key, it will turn over but not start. Just replaced the fuel pump about a year ago and when I turn the key to on I usually wait for the sound of the fuel pump to turn on and all I hear is a click from the relay under the back seat. So I don't know if it could be a bad fuel pump, bad starter, bad alternator, or a bad battery. Any suggestions?
Scan for codes and check fuelpressure first with a gauge, doesn't sound like a battery. Auto parts rent gauge 48 psi minimum
BASSN T-VILLE
UPDATE:
I replaced both the cam & crankshaft sensor. No change.

It does backfire through the throttle body so I am thinking timing. Could the timing chain jumped?

Or, could it have blown out a sensor (MAS, TPS, etc.) The 1st time it did it?
ANY suggestion would help!
Have you scanned for codes and checked fuel pressure with a gauge? If not do so auto parts rent the gauge. The chain could have jumped but there is no mileage that comes through on new site so I can't say for sure on that.
BASSN T-VILLE
IMAC
It has still not shown any codes. It has about 110,000 on it.
I have not checked the fuel pressure other that relieving the pressure at the connection point for the gauge. You can hear the pump turn on at the tank fill. No weird noise just a nice even hum. I guess the next step is going to be loan-a-tool a fuel pressure gauge.
BASSN T-VILLE
Update. Went out today to hook my OBD-LX to it as see if I could get any readings that would give me a clue as to what was going on. It seemed to be dragging when I tried to start it. Again, it seemed to try but would not start. The reading on the battery. Was about 11 volts so I put my charger on it. After about 10 minutes, I tried to start it again. It still seemed to try but would not catch. This time, I gave it full throttle thinking that if I could get it to run, I could make it hit the rev limiter so it could "learn" the new new crankshaft & camshaft position sensor. Well. That got it to start. I left off and it was running rough. So, I gave it some gas to hit the limiter and let off. After that it ran fine.
But, to make sure, I took it up to have the battery & alternator checked. The alternator checked out fine but the battery was bad. My son said it runs better now. Before, he said it didn't seem to have much pick-up.
I want to make sure I said thank you for you input. So. THANK YOU!
SUPEMAN59
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
2000 Buick Lesabre V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

fails to start sometimes and will cut off while driving. My mechanic replaced crank sensor with no results. Will start sometimes and I made a trip to grand rapids 200 miles no problem. When I got there it did not start. 15 minutes later it started. Drove back to saginaw no problem and soon as I turned it off, no start.
-1
SUPEMAN59
PLEASE TELL ME WHY MY CAR STARTS WHEN IT BWANTS TO?
Bad batteries will do that not enough voltage makes the computers do screwy things. I should have told you to do that in first reply as well.