05 Lesabre no crank, lights dont dim but wiper stops

ALBAKER07
  • 2005 BUICK LESABRE
Background: I drove 30 miles round trip today -- no trouble starting the car at either end. I parked the car and five minutes later my wife tried to start it but it would not turn over.

The battery is fine -- 12 v and checked out fine under load at AutoZone. Connections were clean and were cleaned anyhow. 12 v is seen at the fuse box under the rear seat and under the hood.

With the ignition switch off, the keyless entry works fine. There does not appear to be any change from normal operations when the key is turned to on, i.E, the radio works, wipers wipe, and driving lights turn on automatically (made in Canada).

What seems very strange is that when the key is turned to start the instrument panel dies as does the wipers (if I have them turned on), BUT THE HEADLIGHTS KEEP SHINING UNDIMINISHED. When the switch is released back to the on position, the instrument panel come back to life after a second. The voltage at the battery when the ignition switch is turned to start drops only to 11 v. Now why is that? And where is the problem?

Thank you in advance,
Al
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 8:39 PM

[quote="albaker07"]background: I drove 30 miles round trip today -- no trouble starting the car at either end. I parked the car and five minutes later my wife tried to start it but it would not turn over.

The voltage at the battery when the ignition switch is turned to start drops only to 11 v. Is this during cranking mode or key is just in the On position?
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 8:48 PM
ALBAKER07
Both. But.

I went outside to double check before replying and had my son man the ignition switch. The first three or four times we still had no crank with a very slight voltage drop from OFF to ON and to START. However, much to my surprise, the next time the car promptly started as did the time after that! I can upgrade my car from dead to totally unreliable but I'll admit I am clueless as to what is going on. My mechanic usually wants to see cars when they are symptomatic from an intermittent problem and not when they're working as they should, but that leaves me wondering when and where it will do this again -- hence the hope that someone knows whats wrong so I (or he) can fix it.
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 9:36 PM
Both. But.

I went outside to double check before replying and had my son man the ignition switch. The first three or four times we still had no crank with a very slight voltage drop from OFF to ON and to START. However, much to my surprise, the next time the car promptly started as did the time after that! I can upgrade my car from dead to totally unreliable but I'll admit I am clueless as to what is going on. My mechanic usually wants to see cars when they are symptomatic from an intermittent problem and not when they're working as they should, but that leaves me wondering when and where it will do this again -- hence the hope that someone knows whats wrong so I (or he) can fix it.[/Quote:06e2a9ff3b]

Yup I know what you mean. Catch them while on the act. Its hard for me to give you a sure fire answer-not being there.

Just double check all connections involving the battery and starter-could possibly be the ignition switch not hitting on the sweet spot.
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 9:41 PM
ALBAKER07
Will do, and thank you for your time and advice!
Al
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 9:50 PM