Air conditioner and heater is only blowing out the defrost vents

WINK1212
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I only have air/heat coming out the defrost (some slightly through the floor) and I have already replaced the blend door actuator under the floor pedals. The problems still exists, so what could still be the problem?
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 11:55 AM

You need to check mode door actuator. Try pulling fuse first for sixty seconds with key on it may reset and be okay otherwise see one in picture. Blend door actuator is for temperature like heat to air conditioner.
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 12:01 PM
WINK1212
That might be what I replaced (mode door), it was under the dash above the gas pedal. I replaced it and I see if moving when I change the controls from floor to defrost, but the blower still comes mainly through the defrost. The mode door controls where the air goes right?
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 12:11 PM
KEN
It sounds like the blend door itself has broken loose from inside the heater plenum. But to be sure remove the actuator and work the pivot by hand with the heater on to see if the door makes any changes.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 12:55 PM
WINK1212
Ken, yeah I had did that a while back also, I pulled off the actuator and manually moved the arm up and down, but it didn't change any direction of the air/heat movement. So does that mean I need to pull the dash apart to fix? Thanks
Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 AT 8:22 AM
No you probably took the wrong one apart the pic shows correct one it may be a broken door or shaft
Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 AT 11:44 AM
KEN
If you moved the blend door pivot by hand while the unit was on and no air direction changed then yes the blend door is broken and the heater plenum needs to come out to be taken apart to see what happened.

Best, Ken
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 8:27 AM