Windshield wipers are not working

SAMWHEELS
  • 2004 ACURA MDX
Six cylinder four wheel drive automatic 80,000 miles.

I went through the carwash today, my windshield wiper got caught in the drying mechanism. I stopped the car, but the air was blowing so hard, I could not get out to unlatch the wiper blade. When the air stopped, I unhitched it, but it appeared tweaked. When I turned on the windshield wiper, it did not work. The mechanic at the gas station tried to move the wipers to maybe dislodge them, but now they are stuck in the up position, and still do not work. What do you think is wrong with them, and will this cost me a bundle to fix?
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:40 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Samwheels,

Thank you for the donation.

There is a possibility the wiper linkages have been dislodged and is wedged causing the motor to be frozen. You would need to remove the wiper arms, panel and motor to check the extent of the damage. The cost could vary from reinstalling dislodged linkages to replacement of the motor assembly.

I am not sure how much it would cost and would put it as between $100.00 to $300.00 depending on what has been damaged.

Did you check if the wiper fuse is blown?
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 7:04 AM
SAMWHEELS
Thank you for your reply. I tried to check the fuse, but I could not figure out for the life of me how to remove the cover, which only happens to hide two of twelve fuses and of course the thirty amp fuse I need to look at. I will try again today, now that I am not as upset.

But back to the wipers, when I came out of the car wash, the wipers were askance, and did not align properly. It sounds like your suggestion, "There is a possibility the wiper linkages have been dislodged and is wedged causing the motor to be frozen". Is the likely culprit, and perhaps the motor is also burned out.

I am not mechanically inclined, so I will have to bring this to a mechanic to fix. Do you recommend I bring it to the dealer, or will an independent mechanic do a fine job?

I hope it does not rain until Monday!
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 10:29 AM
KHLOW2008
This should be a job any mechanic should be able to handle so not necessary to be dealer.

Lift up both wiper arm and ty to turn them manually one by one to see if any arm is able to move freely. Remember to to keep the wiper switch off when engine is running to prevent motor from burning off if it is stuck.

The wiper fuse should be under dash and I have difficulty assessing my database to get more information for you. Seems my ISP is doing some upgrade, which has been going on for some time, and it is taking me ages to load a page to access data.

If you need any other assistance, let me know and I would get my fellow technicians to assist in getting them as they should be able to assess the data.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 6:34 PM
SAMWHEELS
Unfortunately they do not move. When I first exited the car wash, they did move manually, and there did seem to be a buzz from the motor. Now there is no sound or vibration, and the arms are stuck in the up position.

I will bring the car to my local repair shop, so I appreciate your advice on that. Hopefully the motor is not burned out, and it is just the wiper linkages. We will find out on Monday!

Thanks again for your help.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 6:55 PM
SAMWHEELS
Follow up to situation:

I brought my car into the Shell station where they were broken by the car wash, and they said the windshield wiper motor needed to be replaced, costing me $330.00 with labor. Then he called and said the wiper linkages needed to be replaced and would cost an additional $200.00. Does this sound correct?

The wipers work, but they swing over the edge beyond where the window stops on the driver's side. Any idea if a broken linkage would cause this? Should the mechanic have been able to fix the linkage rather than replace it?

Otherwise the wipers are operational.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 10:26 PM
KHLOW2008
If the wipers are working but over swinging, then there should be nothing to be replaced. An adjustment of the wiper arms should solve the problem.

I would suggest getting a second opinion.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 6:21 AM
FMDX
  • 2008 ACURA MDX
  • AWD
When I turn on the truck in the morning the wiper fluid starts spraying on its own. I tried to play with the wiper lever, but will not stop. I ran out of fluid and the pump continue to run and wipers will not turn off until I turn off the vehicle. I pulled the fifteen amp fuse to stop the the pump, but now the wipers will not work.
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:15 PM (Merged)
CAR-MAN145
It sounds like a bad wiper switch, see if you can unplug it and put the fuse back in to see if it stops.