Will not start

JAPOSTOL78
  • 2001 ACURA INTEGRA
Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 90,000 miles

i am having engine problems. I started my car today just to drive it on some blocks and shut it off. I then changed rims and so forth. When I was done I started my car again but it did not sound too good. It was low idle and shut off. I heard some knocking noise where the cams were before the engine shut off. I tried starting it a few times but it did not turn over. Only thing I can hear is the starter and that is it. Just did an oil change two weeks ago. Car was just smogged a few weeks ago and passed. Anything else I can try to get it going?
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 3:10 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi japostol78,

When engine could not start, you need to verify if it is an ignition, fuel or mechanical fault. Check out the following link and let me know what you find out.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM
JAPOSTOL78
Hey there, thanks for the reply. The ignition and all the basic is fine. The car started fine when I first drove it up on blocks. Then after I started it to drive it off the blocks it bogged out and shut off. The idle was really low at about 1000 rpm. I removed the valve cover and I noticed that there is a lot of slack on the timing belt on top and on the left, there was a lot of slack. I am thinking the timing belt maybe have skipped a tooth? The engine does have about 90,000 miles on it. Hopefully I did not damage the engine and time for a new belt and water pump.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 5:46 PM
JAPOSTOL78
I found out the cause of the problem. I removed the valve cover to check on the timing belt. Unfortunately, there is a good row of teeth missing. So it is the timing belt that needs to be changed. I am thinking of doing it myself since I have a new timing belt and water pump. Was reading a DIY over on some forums online. So I am going to try. Do you think there is not anything damaged internally since I wasnt running the car at all? I just started it and then the car shut off. I would rather save the engine than replace it. Thanks
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 10:00 PM
KHLOW2008
It depends on the situation and your luck. Sometimes it is okay sometimes not.

The easiest way to confirm if any valves are damaged is to check the valve clearances.

Reinstall the timing belt, adjust it and then check the valve clearances. If there is no abnormally large clearances, the valves should be okay. It is not necessary to reinstall all other components to check valve clearances so as not to waste your time just in case the valves are damaged.

Being a twin cam engine, you need to be careful when trying to realign the camshafts. Turn the crank pulley until none of the pistons are at TDC before attempting to realign the camshafts. Turn the camshaft one by one and do not force to ensure the valves are not clashing when turning the camshaft. Let camshaft seat itself in its most comfortable position by rocking it slightly before attempting to turn other camshaft.
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 12:12 PM
JAPOSTOL78
How do you know when the cranshaft pistons are not TDC?
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 10:01 PM
KHLOW2008
At the crank pulley you can see the TDC mark. Make sure it is at least twenty degrees away from matching.

Another way is to remove the number one spark plug and insert a screwdriver to measure the piston position while slowly turning the crankshaft, be careful not to let the screwdriver gets snared by the piston on its upstroke.
When piston is at highest position, turn crankshaft until piston has moved down an inch and you should be ready to go.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:04 AM
JAPOSTOL78
Finally I changed my timing belt. I am assuming I put everything back together and on right because I started it and the engine turned over. Drove it around the block after warming it up and felt fine.

I check the valve clearance and it was fine, did the spark plug thing too.

My question is, aside from the compression test, is there any other way to find out if the engine is still good? From the way it sounds and drives it feels much better that it did before the belt was damaged. Any advice would help. I am just proud that I did my timing belt for the first time and it went well even though it took a week (had to gather all the parts and tools to make the job easier).
Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 6:46 PM
KHLOW2008
A dyno test would enable you to understand the engine performance.

Apart from that, normal items that should be taken into consideration are :
1. Oil consumption.
2. Engine noise level.
3. Any factors such as overheating.
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 12:59 AM
JAPOSTOL78
I will keep note of the that. I actually drove the car around town yesterday. No overheating. I will keep tabs on the oil consumption also. Thanks!
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 2:00 PM
JAPOSTOL78
  • 2001 ACURA INTEGRA
Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 95,000 miles

HI, my car has a B20B (CRV) engine swap in it. Just yesterday I started the engine and it idle really low then shut off. I tried to start a couple times after that but it would not turn over. Before it shut off I heard a knocking noise where the cams were. I removed the valve cover to see if anything was loose or came off. Nothing. I did feel the timing belt and it had a lot of slack on the top and on the left (towards the front). The belt was really loose. Did my timing belt skip and caused the cams to be misaligned? Would it be best to just replace the belt since a tooth may have been broken? Any advice would be good right now. Thanks.
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 3:02 PM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
If your timing belt has a lot of slack it could be because the tension-er has failed (which is not very common on these vehicles) What is more common is a mechanic induced problem. I have seen a lot of DIY'ers not properly tension these timing belts and they have jumped a couple of teeth.

A quick way to check this is to remove the valve cover and upper timing cover. Set the crank pulley to TDC via the mark on the lower timing cover and look at the cams. If the marks are off then you have a problem.
JAPOSTOL78
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and removed the valve cover to check out the timing belt. Unfortunately there is a row of teeth missing. So it is the timing belt that skipped. My question is; can I replace the belt and save the engine? I was not driving the car when the belt was shredded. It idled around 1000 rpm and shut off. Thanks!
F4I_GUY
You will not know if you have done any damage until you properly install another belt and then do a compression test.
F4I_GUY
No, the only real way is to do a cylinder compression or cylinder leak down test.

However, the fact that it drives strong and does not misfire strongly indicates that you did no damage to the valve-train.