Car will not start checked everything

JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

Has spark and gas. Put on computer no codes. Everything seems to work, but nothing. Car ran fine turn it off and got in it about thirty minutes later started car did a half a turn and car shut off.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

KHLOW2008

Check the fuel pressure. If you do not have any fuel pressure, check the fuel pump operations. The PGM-FI main relay is known to fail causing intermittent non-starting.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 4:43 PM
JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES

Okay, I have fuel so would it still be the main relay?

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES

It has good spark when I turn the key fuel shoots out the fuel rail. Has compression no codes, new spark plugs, will not start on ether.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 5:26 PM
KHLOW2008

Sparks, compression and fuel pressure. Try some starting fluid. If it fails to start, check the timing belt for skipped tooth.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

" Thirty minutes later started car did a half a turn and car shut off"

"half turn" sounds like the battery, connection, or starter problems.

Later portion of this deals with connections.

Http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

Battery can be tested in or out of your rig at a popular auto parts store, you can get it running and over there (with a jump or a "charged battery". this same machine can test your entire charging system to insure your battery is being charged by the alternator if it is not, you will soon be back in the same situation.

Keep us posted

The Medic

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 7:42 PM
JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES

Sorry about that when I said half a turn I got in it and it started so I put it in gear and drove it went to do a u turn and in the middle of the turn it just shut off no noise or anything. I have spark, I have fuel in it. I tried starting fluid, but it still will not start. Checked the relay it is working.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 8:17 PM
KHLOW2008

You mentioned compression, was it tested?

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM
KHLOW2008

By the way, are the sparks bright blue or dull orange?

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM
JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES

Yeah, got compression and the spark plug are new but in the old plugs the where orange I will check real quick with the new ones and see.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 8:35 PM
KHLOW2008

If everything lines up good and the sparks are orane, you have a weak ignition coil that is not providing sparks strong enough to start the engine. A weak ignition coil would also fail when it is hot.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 9:36 PM
JONATHANMELISSAPOWELLFORBES

Checked the spark that is blue and put a new rotor button in among testing it I sat the plug on top of engine over the hole it came out of and tried to start it and it shot out flame.

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 AT 11:55 PM
KHLOW2008

Looks like you have an over fueling situation. Maybe the injectors are opening too much and that can be due to a problem with the engine coolant temperature sensor.

Remove all spark plugs and disconnect the PGM-FI main relay. Crank the engine for a few seconds to clear out the cylinders of excessive fuel. Reinstall everything and try starting.

+1
Monday, September 10th, 2012 AT 12:04 AM
AU29TX
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 114,000 miles

I bought this car from a girl who said all that it needed was a battery and a fuel pump. Well I purchased both of these things. The car still will not start. I have tried many different things. I change the igniter, the fuel pump, and the spark plug wires and plugs. Still nothing, I do not know what the next turn is on this car.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 11:49 AM (Merged)
F4I_GUY

Well does it crank or not?

Do you have fuel and spark? If you have spark and fuel, what is the fuel pressure at? And is the spark bright and white/blue?

AU29TX

Yes, the car cranks over, but does not run. Their is good fuel pressure, and the spark is good too.

CWALKER8
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 50,000 miles

i filled up earlier and forgot something at the store while returning to the store the car started spitting and sputtering and then quit running altogether. The engine will turn over but will not fire up. I can hear the fuel pump coming on and I see pressure on my inline gauge.

Disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine have helper crank engine over, do you have a snapping blue spark? If so, you have a fuel related problem. Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

For almost four years now and it has never given me any problems, I perform regular maintenance on it and never really drove it too hard. About a month ago I was driving it and I blew a tire, changed it and drove it home where I parked it. I left it sitting for approximately three or four days and when I came back out to start it it would not. I could hear the fuel pump priming and the engine would turn over but not fire. Tried this numerous times and about three days of trying, it just started (idle was a bit weak but other than it ran) I left it overnight and it still started no problems the next morning. I drove it to a friend's house to do some work on it and when I tried to start it again it would not. Then a few days later it started again but it sounded like it was choking, it had no power (cannot get rpm past 4000), it blows thick smoke, and it will stall when you try to idle it. Any ideas? We have not checked the spark plugs yet, however we changed the plug wires, distributor cap, the rotor, and the coil and after that it would not start all together.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES

When it does not start right away, check the spark at the plugs and determine if there is spark and if it is strong. I assume that the vehicle is getting fuel but it might not be getting all that it needs or more than it needs. Start with the spark and then you might want to have a fuel pressure check done.

KOONCERLV
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 116,000 miles

My engine quit running on the road and would not start, it makes a loud whirring noise, but does not sound like it is turning, I popped the valve cover off to inspect the timing belt and it is just fine. Would a bad starter motor cause the car to shut off while driving? Or could there be some thing else?