Will not start at times

SAAILER
  • 1993 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 137,000 miles

once every couple weeks no start. Turn key hear audible click but starter will not spin. Battery new, starter new (replaced it twice to be sure), cables new, alternator working (12vdc engine off 4.2 vdc engine running). Replaced connector which leads from ignition to starter.

Weeks pass and same symptom occurs.

All that is left, I believe, is the main relay aka starter relay.

Could this relay be located somewhere under the dash, be the problem?

If so can you help me locate it? Acura parts describes it as three inches in length and four bolted under dash on drivers side. However a discount auto parts guy tells me no, no it is much smaller and held by one bolt through a bracket on the passenger side. Help me please. Saailer

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 2:59 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi Saailer,

Thank you for the donation.

Main relay and starter relay are two different things. Starter non cranking is not related to PGM-FI main relay.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StarterRelay99Integra_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay93Integra_3.jpg" alt="
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay93Integra_3.jpg" />

The starter relay could be the problem but we need to verify the problem.
1 Where is the clicking noise coming from? inside vehicle or from starter?
2. Did you try using a remote wire to crank the starter with direct power from battery?

It could be a faulty ignition switch that is failing and not providing sufficient contact and power draw to crank the starter.

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 4:54 PM
SAAILER

Clicking sound is inside car. Have not tried direct battery to starter, however if you jump it car starts immediately.

I am inclined to agree it is the ignition switch/lock. It is $294.83 at discount auto. Would prefer to try starter relay. I am not quite clear where starter relay is located. Is diagram pointing under the dash? Can you describe relay or better yet offer a part number? Hate to be a pest but physical description/or part number is a necessity at dealership.

This problem can leave in a heart beat so I never have control of it and therefore cannot be sure if anything I try has validity.

Saturday, February 7th, 2009 AT 8:33 PM
KHLOW2008

Hi,

Thank you for the reputations points, it is very much appreciated.

Now that looks fishy. With a jump start if it starts immediately it should a problem with power supply rather than anything else. It could be a weak battery or bad connections. Since there is a clicking noise emitted, it should not be the ignition noise.

Try cleaning the battery terminals and re-tightening the ground terminals at the transmission side, look for frayed wires.

If it does not help, test the battery voltage when problem arises. It would be good to get a high rate discharge test on the battery.

As for the relay, I am sorry I could not find any close-up pictures to show you. It is the normal four pin relay that is common with the headlight or fan relays. You can try swapping them instead getting a replacement part. Try swapping with the head light relays, they could be easily removed and if the relay is bad, at least it would not affect any important engine functional components.

Does the dash indicator lights remain on and fully lit when ignition turned to "start"?
Does engine cranks after a few tries?
When engine does crank, does the starter seem slow at times, as if it is laboring to turn over?

Saturday, February 7th, 2009 AT 10:03 PM
SAAILER

Battery is brand new. Cables both plus and minus are new. (New= two weeks).

Dash lights dim slightly, but stay on will not start after a few tries, starter never seems slow, when it cranks, it cranks normal with normal start when it is bad just a click.

Car has been well taken care of and is in a very high state of tune.

Once again I do not want to mislead, when it happens it can remain bad until jumped or trouble may clear if key is held over for ten to twenty seconds.

All connections are tight and clean. Methinks holding the key over for twenty seconds. Indicates current is burning through a restive contact, ie ignition or relay. I am going to swap relays. I will let you know if trouble then follows into the headlights.

Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 8:48 AM
SAAILER

I believe I have found the problem.

The ten gauge black wit white tracer ignition wire that has a female fast-on connector had a break (not all the way through) about six inches back from where it plugs into the starter solenoid. This particular run takes two wicked bends on its way from the harness.

I replaced the bad section, installed a new fast-on, and re-routed it with a more direct approach.

I installed a new ground strap from transmission to body.
Main battery ground connected to a bracket on transmission. The bracket did not make clean connect to transmission body. I removed, cleaned and reinstalled bracket using the main bolt for battery ground. Rather than the small bolt on bracket end.

You can hear the difference when starter motor runs; crisp and much quicker. Voltage on the battery terminals when car is at idle is.4vdc higher.

These two observations plus the fact that, "hope burns eternal in the soul of the back-yard mechanic", have me convinced trouble is fixed.

Then again, I felt the same way after I; changed battery, starter motor, battery cables.

Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 6:49 PM
KHLOW2008

Let us hope the problem is solved. Cheers to the backyard mechanic.

Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 8:25 AM
JULYBUG
  • 1993 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic

My car will not start when it is hot outside already replaced the starter and alternator.
It starts fine when it is cool out, but when it sit in the sun for a while it just will not do anything. Help please!

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
LEGITIMATE007
  • MERGED

Check the mass airflow sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
SAMPSON2286
  • MERGED

Check your main fuel relay. I had some problems with that during the summer an Acura told me that it was my MFR.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
LEGITIMATE007
  • MERGED

Of course your going to need to check fuel and spark too.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
LEGITIMATE007
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm

check your fuel pressure here.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
LEGITIMATE007
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm

here is ignition.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KALIREE
  • 1993 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 135,000 miles

My stock car will not start when it has been sitting in very hot weather for a couple of hours. The engine will turn just fine, but it will not actually start. If I wait for a while until the ambient temperature drops, the car will start up like new. I had never heard of vapor lock, but after some research that seems to be the most likely culprit. What can I do to fix this?

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi,

The vehicle is equipped with self bleeding and during initial ignition on, the fuel pump will operate for two seconds to purge the system. If it is really vapor lock, try turning the ignition on for two seconds and off then repeat a few times and see if it starts. If it is vapor lock, it should start.

You might need to look at the fuel pump main relay which tends to have bad soldering points if the above does not work.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KALIREE
  • MERGED

When you say that I should "turn on the ignition", do you mean turn fully to actually start the engine, or just turn the ignition until the power is fully on? Or does it make a difference? I have tried completely turning the ignition repeatedly, but I have not stopped short and just "powered" the ignition repeatedly. I will give that a try (the next time I am in that situation) and see what happens.

Also, just to make sure I understand, vapor lock would not occur in my vehicle unless the relay is not working properly? I was also considering new spark plugs, but the engine seems to be getting plenty of voltage, as it turns over just fine.

One last thing I just thought of; it has been idling very low (intermittently), but runs fine when accelerating. I was thinking that perhaps my fuel pump is going bad. Could that explain why it would not start in hot weather, yet starts fine the rest of the time?

Thanks again.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi,

Switch on only, do not crank as cranking will get the injectors working thus reduction in fuel pressure.

If you can get a fuel pressure test when the vehicle is not working, that would be the best.

One simple way of checking whether there is vapor lock is to unloosen the fuel relief pressure valve and switch on the ignition. If fuel gushes out with high pressure, then is not vapor lock and also not the cause of your hard starting.

However if it there is no pressure or bubbles, then there is vapor lock or the fuel pump is not functioning maybe due to the pump itself or the current supply which is from the main relay.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
THEBIGGMCDOG
  • MERGED

Your problem is your 'fuel pressure regulator" needs to be replaced.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
BACONNOL
  • MERGED

You need to replace the main relay. I had the same problem on my 1994 Integra. The part cost me only $75.00 and it just plugs in down by the gas pedal.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
77593DA
  • 1993 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 163,000 miles

I just replaced the fuel filter checked the fuel pump replaced it as well and the old one still worked, Then I replaced the PGM-FI main relay fuse checked all other fuses and the wiring. For some odd reason when I pop the line off the fuel filter the car has no fuel pressure. What else could be wrong? The only way the fuel pump comes on is if I jump it. There is no power at the main relay assembly fuse under the dash. I have replaced it twice.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi 77593DA,

The PGM-FI main relay gets its main power from underhood fusebox. The underdash is for the operating supply while the underhood fuse is for supply to the fuel pump, etc.

-1
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 8:27 PM