Will not start

RUSSELL JENSEN
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 180,000 miles

Car starts fine and runs great when initially started. If I try to start it in afternoon after work it will not start but will the next morning. (S3 light flashes and will not start) Have replaced the transmission control module and another transmission part I cannot remember but in my file. Could it be possibly a fuel item?

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 8:13 AM

KHLOW2008

Hi Russell,

Most probably the main relay is faulty.

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 8:31 AM
ESJHJ

If happened with both my 1992 Integra's . If you can solder pretty good it will only take a hour to fix and no money.

Check out this site It shows everything:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 2:10 PM
RUSSELL JENSEN

Thanks, it just substantiated of where I was going with this. I really appreciate it. RJ

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 2:52 PM
STEVEAL01
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 289,000 miles

My son's car after parked at a friends house just stopped starting. He tried to start car, all lights in dash work but when trying to turn over with clutch engaged, nothing, not even a click from starter. Tested starter by jumping and seem to engage fine. Can also push start car to start just fine as well but when use key, nothing. Changed main relay, clutch switch, has fairly new battery (replaced few months ago), distributor, but still puzzled. Not sure if I am forgetting something else. Have not checked the starter relay behind the center dash. Thank you.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Check starter relay and the ignition switch.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
STEVEAL01
  • MERGED

How do I test the ignition switch?

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Have helper hold key at start position and check power at the starter relay black and white wire, no power the ignition switch start circuit is open between the relay and ignition switch.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
STEVEAL01
  • MERGED

Well mystery solved and discovered the problem. For one thing I checked the wrong clutch switch. Actually checked the cruise control switch. So I checked the switch above that (engaging switch to start car). At the area of the button, there is a hole on the clutch pedal where there should have been a cap or something to prevent the button from going though that hole to engage. Just put a screw for the mean time and voila, it started fine. Not sure what or why nothing on that pedal. Thanks you guys.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The hole is supposed to have a stopper. A screw might be too high and leave no push rod free play.

Insufficient clearance would cause clutch pump failure when driving for long distances.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
AMBER1029
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Six cylinder two wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

For months I would be able to start my car just fine and then about twice a week, right after turning car off, I would try and re-start it and would not start back up, but if you wait for about five minutes then it would start. So what I would like to know is, what kind of a problem would be wrong with it, with what I just explained? I just want to get an idea. The car does not have clicking sounds when trying to start it.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
F4I_GUY
  • MERGED

May be a bad ground, a bad power connection or the actual starter.

Check all of these things. Particularly the transmission to chassis ground.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
AMBER1029
  • MERGED

Thank you for your help.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
RDRUNNER8623
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder

for about a week I have been having problems off and on starting the vehicle regardless if hot or cold. Now it does not seem to want to start at all. I think it is something to due with the fuel. Please help find out the problem.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
F4I_GUY
  • MERGED

Does the vehicle crank or not?

If it cranks, check for spark and fuel.

If it does not crank, check the battery, starter and cables.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
SAMPSON2286
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 207,000 miles

I have replaced the whole distributor assembly, the alternator with the same amp rating, the starter, a new fuel pump, new electronic control unit, new spark plugs, new wires, but I am still not getting any spark. I have voltage going to the distributor, but no spark. Anything I could have missed? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi sampson2286,

Either the replaced distributor is faulty or you have a broken timing belt. Remove distributor cap and crank engine, if rotor does not turn you will not get any sparks.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
BLACKTEG21
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 145,000 miles

hi, my car will not start. It used to start great. Then it started to start up slow in the mornings after sitting all night. I would turn the key and it would crank and crank. Then I would turn the key off. Then try again. It started instantly after that. Did that for a while. Then it got worse. It would do the same thing but when it turned on it would kind of bog and sputter and barely start. But after that morning start it started great the rest of the day. Then the next morning same problem again. And then it got even worse. It has gotten to the point to where I drain my battery trying to start it because I keep trying. Then after a while it got even worse. It would do the same thing but during the day after driving it, it would not start. It would crank but not start. So I would let it sit for like five to ten minutes and then it starts right up. Then it got worse. It would do all that and then a few times its just died on me while driving. I would try to start it again and it would turn over but wont start. Let it sit for a bit and then finally starts. Now my car is sitting at home because it will not start at all. Just cranks and cranks but no results. I have checked for spark, change my fuel filter. Used this liquid that cleans the fuel injectors, changed my starter because it went bad too. Checked my battery cables connection. I just do not know what it is. I think it may be the fuel pump, but I do not know. I am afraid to spend more money on something and the problem not get fixed. I do not have that kind of money. I need help.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Car cranks but will not start

Next time it refuses to start do not wait for nothing do below to catch it, if it is a fuel or spark problem.

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carburetor or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and shut off? If not disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor/distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, igniter camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
BLACKTEG21
  • MERGED

Yes when trying to start it, a few times my car started up but bogs and shuts off right away. Like if it is fighting for gas or something. So what do you recommend I check first?

-1
Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge designed for your fuel system.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM