Will not start

RUSSELL JENSEN
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 180,000 miles

Car starts fine and runs great when initially started. If I try to start it in afternoon after work it will not start but will the next morning. (S3 light flashes and will not start) Have replaced the transmission control module and another transmission part I cannot remember but in my file. Could it be possibly a fuel item?

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 8:13 AM

KHLOW2008

Hi Russell,

Most probably the main relay is faulty.

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 8:31 AM
ESJHJ

If happened with both my 1992 Integra's . If you can solder pretty good it will only take a hour to fix and no money.

Check out this site It shows everything:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 2:10 PM
RUSSELL JENSEN

Thanks, it just substantiated of where I was going with this. I really appreciate it. RJ

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 2:52 PM
STEVEAL01
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 289,000 miles

My son's car after parked at a friends house just stopped starting. He tried to start car, all lights in dash work but when trying to turn over with clutch engaged, nothing, not even a click from starter. Tested starter by jumping and seem to engage fine. Can also push start car to start just fine as well but when use key, nothing. Changed main relay, clutch switch, has fairly new battery (replaced few months ago), distributor, but still puzzled. Not sure if I am forgetting something else. Have not checked the starter relay behind the center dash. Thank you.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Check starter relay and the ignition switch.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
STEVEAL01
  • MERGED

How do I test the ignition switch?

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
  • MERGED

Have helper hold key at start position and check power at the starter relay black and white wire, no power the ignition switch start circuit is open between the relay and ignition switch.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
STEVEAL01
  • MERGED

Well mystery solved and discovered the problem. For one thing I checked the wrong clutch switch. Actually checked the cruise control switch. So I checked the switch above that (engaging switch to start car). At the area of the button, there is a hole on the clutch pedal where there should have been a cap or something to prevent the button from going though that hole to engage. Just put a screw for the mean time and voila, it started fine. Not sure what or why nothing on that pedal. Thanks you guys.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The hole is supposed to have a stopper. A screw might be too high and leave no push rod free play.

Insufficient clearance would cause clutch pump failure when driving for long distances.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM
AMBER1029
  • 1990 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Six cylinder two wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

For months I would be able to start my car just fine and then about twice a week, right after turning car off, I would try and re-start it and would not start back up, but if you wait for about five minutes then it would start. So what I would like to know is, what kind of a problem would be wrong with it, with what I just explained? I just want to get an idea. The car does not have clicking sounds when trying to start it.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 4:56 PM