Car simply will not start

KILMUIR
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 98,685 miles

Car has been very well maintained by myself and Honda dealer. Purchased new by myself who remains the owner. Ran well as ever until I let it sit for months on end after buying second primary auto to drive. Cranked car regularly to keep the engine alive, but let sit for long while. Nonetheless, battery did drained out, yet when attempts at cranking even with a jump, car refuses to start. Hi-test gas added, new plugs installed, even starting fluid failed to bring it to life. Curiosity led to eyeing distributor appearance that shows the oft spoke of orange-brown dust inside cap. I guess it is the whitish looking rotor that seems a little burnt on the leading edge? Any suggestions are much welcome.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:45 PM

Check for spark-no spark troubleshoot entire ignition system inspect all parts for wear and tear. Last major tune-up?

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Check for spark at the spark plug wire where it attaches to the spark plug and let us know if you have spark or not.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM
LAWRENRE
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

My car will start when it is cool out but when the temperature goes up it does not want to start. It will crank over fine but no fire. I put a spark plug into one of the wires when it would not start and had no spark on the plug when grounded to the engine. Replaced the fuel filter a week ago but no help. I was wondering if it was the coil or igniter?
Bob

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
IZAP2
  • MERGED

It sounds like your ignitor module is about to fail. It is located inside the distributor cap. Let me know how it goes.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
LAWRENRE
  • MERGED

So when you say inside the cap you must mean it is located in the distributor, yes? Do I need to purchase a new distributor or can I get a igniter only?

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
IZAP2
  • MERGED

Sorry about the lack of clarity. Yes, it is on the distributor and you only need to buy the igniter/ignition control module. You can purchase it at Auto Zone or Kragen Auto parts stores (you will find it under ignition-control module). You may want to buy a Haynes repair manual for Acura (1990 through 1993) for detailed instructions on how to uninstall it and then install the new one.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi Lawrenre,

I would suggest checking the main relay first. Known to cause such problems. Honda ICM are rather reliable and seldom gives way.

Does the check engine light stay on more than two seconds when the ignition switch is turned on?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
ESJHJ
  • MERGED

I just had to re-solder the main relay circuit board (under the dash to the left of the steering column). I used google to find a article that someone wrote. Google
integra main relay.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
VINCENTO
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 200,000 miles

Help! I had just changed my fuel pump and spark plugs along with my wire set and starter about two weeks before my car broke down. Okay, I was driving down the freeway and my car just lost power (the engine was still running but had no power) so I had to pull over and get it towed to my house. I tried to jump start it and that did not work. I looked it up and it said my fuel filter might be bad so I changed it and still nothing. It turns over but the engine wont start what should I do?

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

You need to check:

check for spark.
Check for fuel pressure.
Check timing belt.
I would check timing belt.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM