Car simply will not start

KILMUIR
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 98,685 miles

Car has been very well maintained by myself and Honda dealer. Purchased new by myself who remains the owner. Ran well as ever until I let it sit for months on end after buying second primary auto to drive. Cranked car regularly to keep the engine alive, but let sit for long while. Nonetheless, battery did drained out, yet when attempts at cranking even with a jump, car refuses to start. Hi-test gas added, new plugs installed, even starting fluid failed to bring it to life. Curiosity led to eyeing distributor appearance that shows the oft spoke of orange-brown dust inside cap. I guess it is the whitish looking rotor that seems a little burnt on the leading edge? Any suggestions are much welcome.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:45 PM

Check for spark-no spark troubleshoot entire ignition system inspect all parts for wear and tear. Last major tune-up?

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Check for spark at the spark plug wire where it attaches to the spark plug and let us know if you have spark or not.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM
LAWRENRE
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

My car will start when it is cool out but when the temperature goes up it does not want to start. It will crank over fine but no fire. I put a spark plug into one of the wires when it would not start and had no spark on the plug when grounded to the engine. Replaced the fuel filter a week ago but no help. I was wondering if it was the coil or igniter?
Bob

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:00 PM (Merged)
IZAP2

It sounds like your ignitor module is about to fail. It is located inside the distributor cap. Let me know how it goes.

LAWRENRE

So when you say inside the cap you must mean it is located in the distributor, yes? Do I need to purchase a new distributor or can I get a igniter only?

IZAP2

Sorry about the lack of clarity. Yes, it is on the distributor and you only need to buy the igniter/ignition control module. You can purchase it at Auto Zone or Kragen Auto parts stores (you will find it under ignition-control module). You may want to buy a Haynes repair manual for Acura (1990 through 1993) for detailed instructions on how to uninstall it and then install the new one.

KHLOW2008

Hi Lawrenre,

I would suggest checking the main relay first. Known to cause such problems. Honda ICM are rather reliable and seldom gives way.

Does the check engine light stay on more than two seconds when the ignition switch is turned on?

ESJHJ

I just had to re-solder the main relay circuit board (under the dash to the left of the steering column). I used google to find a article that someone wrote. Google
integra main relay.

VINCENTO
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 200,000 miles

Help! I had just changed my fuel pump and spark plugs along with my wire set and starter about two weeks before my car broke down. Okay, I was driving down the freeway and my car just lost power (the engine was still running but had no power) so I had to pull over and get it towed to my house. I tried to jump start it and that did not work. I looked it up and it said my fuel filter might be bad so I changed it and still nothing. It turns over but the engine wont start what should I do?

BMRFIXIT

You need to check:

check for spark.
Check for fuel pressure.
Check timing belt.
I would check timing belt.

123GIVENJEFF
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

my car will not srart sometimes and the problem is getting worse. I replaced the distributor and the main relay and still have the problem. What could it be? Thanks. Jeff

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:05 PM (Merged)

Next time it refuses to start do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem that is causing it.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or two and ground it to the engine have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors.

OBURNIT
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 219,000 miles

My car had smoke coming out of the steering wheel while I was driving. Then it would not start it is getting good fuel pressure, is getting spark, and power is on. The engine comes on while cranked. I was told it could be the ECU, but all the power comes on radio works power windows work. Could it be the Ignition Control Modulator? Would it still try to turn over if that is what is burned out?

PVANDAMME
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Manual 136,413 miles

My car has a starting problem as far as I have to pump and pump the gas pedal on first starts in the morning. After starting it runs fine all day until the next morning. I have plenty of voltage.

JACK42

Pumping the pedal does not do much but let more air in on a fuel injected engine. Does it smell like gas when it starts? Does it run rough at first when it does start? Need to do a fuel pressure test overnight with a manual gauge to see if it is bleeding down the fuel system. Could be a bad pump or an injector bleeding the pressure off.

CHASE27
  • 1991 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 130,000 miles

Someone suggested the problem may be in the ECU. Most electrical still works (rear defroster wont shut off, and intermittent wipers do not work), but engine will not start. Noticed that the ten amp fuse (near the battery) was blown, so I replaced it. It started once, but, the second time it blew every ten amp fuse I put in. Just had the engine rebuilt, battery is okay. I was going to send it to a mechanic today, but before I do that, any suggestions?

KHLOW2008

Hi chase27,

The ten amp fuse is for the PGM-FI main relay. Possible fault are fuel pump, ECM and any of the various sensors.

CHASE27

Okay, thanks, at least I have a direction to go now. Any ballpark figures for repair costs on any of those?

KHLOW2008

Hi chase27,

Not easy to provide any figures as it could be a simple solution such as reinsulating an exposed wire to a bad fuel pump, ECM.

CHASE27

Right. I think I will leave the rest up to the pros. Thanks for all the help!