Calipers

VEGASJAMES
  • 2007 TOYOTA CAMRY
2007 toyota camery. My question is that my caliper has seized up on the passenger side of the car and left grooves in the rotor. Do I have to get both rotors cut or just the one. Also can you help me to find a mechanic that rebuild calipers. I live in homestead, fl 33032. I will buy a new caliper, have the rotor cut and change the brakes myself, but I would like to have the old caliper rebuilt and I can't find a mechanic who rebuilds calipers.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 12:35 PM

MHPAUTOS
Get both rotors machined, any mechanic should be able to re build a caliper, it is only a few seals, there is nothing to it.

Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM
VEGASJAMES
Thank you Mark. The problem is that no mechanic will rebuild because its much to cheap to replace the caliper. As I said before, I will replace the old caliper but I want to rebuild the old. I have a little auto background and I would like to do it myself. Will I need any special tool to pop the pisten out the caseing of the caliper. Would you please give me some instruction on how to rebuild the caliper.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM
MHPAUTOS
With the caliper off the car clean off any external dirt before opening up the caliper, ther is a wire clip that hold the outer dust seal in place remove this and take off dust seal, soak the piston in penetrating oil over night, try turning piston with large grips, this will be your problem as if it is seized you will have to get the piston removed using hydraulic pressure, normally we use compressed air, but this I feel will not be enough for you. Caution must be taken when popping piston, it will come out with speed and may injure you or spray you with brake fluid, use safety glasses, and do not hold in your hand, hold in a vice and place a small piece of wood between piston and caliper to cushion the force of the piston coming out and hitting the back of the caliper claw cover with old rags as well, with the piston out, use very fine wet and dry emery paper to clean any dirt and varnish off the the piston, replace internal seal addiing a good amount of rubber grease, coat piston in grease and carefully push back into the bore turning as you pass the seal, push home and replace the outer dust seal and retaining clip, all done.

Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:25 PM