Brake pedal vibration why?

JULIEALVERSON
  • 2007 TOYOTA CAMRY
When I press the brake peddle, usually going slow, such as creeping along in a parking lot or backing out of driveway, my peddle makes a clicking/clunking vibration sound. It happens about once a week or so, I took it to dealer and he couldn't get the car to do it. They could not find anything wrong with "brakes" however. I may have not explained the noise was more in the peddle, and it can feel it also. Any ideas?
Monday, September 8th, 2014 AT 8:49 PM

Does it feel like the ABS is being actuated?
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 5:06 AM
JULIEALVERSON
Yes, could be. Feels kind of like when that comes on.
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 11:34 AM
My GUESS is that one of the ABS sensors at the wheels is either going bad or it is dirty. How they work is this. It is called a hall effect. There is a magnet in the sensor which is stationary. As the wheel turns, there is a stater that turns with the wheel. When you have a magnet that passes over a conductor, it creates a current. Imagine the magnet being passed by several conductors as the wheel spins. The current that is produced tells the computer that everything is fine. When a wheel skids, the wheel stops spinning. Thus, the current is lost and the computer turns on the abs to release brake pressure to affected wheel. Since it only happens when going slow, my guess is there is something that is not allowing the current to be sent to the computer. It could be dirt or a faulty sensor. As a result, the ABS is actuated and you feel the vibration.

Did that make sense? Lol
+1
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 5:40 PM
JULIEALVERSON
Thanks so much for your help. I took it in today to Toyota. I explained everything as I did to you. I mentioned that I thought it have to do with the abs since when this happens it feels kinda like when abs comes on. About an hour later he comes back and says I need new brake pads and rotors turned. I asked why a few weeks ago when I brought it in brakes checked out fine? He said because my complaint before was "grinding" brakes. He said front pads were at 38%, and that could cause vibration in the peddle. Does this sound right? I just find it odd that a few weeks ago my brakes checked out and now I need new ones. I don't disagree I probably do need brakes done, the car is 7 yrs old and I don't think brakes have been done. But. Would new brakes take care of the problem I came in for?
Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 AT 1:08 PM
If the rotors are warped, yes, you will feel a pulsation in the brake pedal and the car will feel odd when stopping.
Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 AT 7:59 PM
ADAMPAUL
  • 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY
2004 camry 4cyl. 3 months ago front left brake caliper seized, replaced caliper, pads and turned rotors, 1 month later both front brakes began to not completely release the rotor after releasing brake pedal, I then replaced master cylinder and blead system, braking did good for 2 weeks, now the brakes are not releasing the rotors unless I bleed small amounts of fluid either from the calipers or from the fittings at the proportioning valve or the abs, even then the "fix" is very short-lived. Help
Friday, March 5th, 2021 AT 11:00 AM (Merged)
You're a few steps ahead of most people. Try releasing fluid pressure right at the master cylinder. If that works, suspect the brake fluid is contaminated with petroleum product or the brake light switch is holding the brake pedal down a little.

Fluid contaminated with engine oil, power steering fluid, or transmission fluid will cause the rubber seals in the master cylinder to swell and grow past the fluid return ports, blocking them off and trapping the fluid. The ONLY proper fix for that is to replace every part that has a rubber part that contacts the brake fluid, and flushing and drying the steel lines. That includes rear wheel cylinders, calipers, ABS hydraulic controller, master cylinder, and all four rubber flex hoses.

After you replaced the master cylinder, contamination will leach out of other rubber parts and recontaminate it. That will take about a week or two to show up again, just like you described.
SRVIDIN1
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
A year ago I had the brakes done includin replacing two broken studs, about 4 months after I started to notice a vibration on my stering wheel when I apply the brakes
specially going down hill, but now is getting worst.I had wheel alignment done but no change.
Please help!
Friday, March 5th, 2021 AT 11:01 AM (Merged)
You didn't say if the rotors were replaced during the brake job. If they were, it is very common for new rotors to warp after installation. Machining them will take care of the pulsation.

One of the most common causes of warped rotors is uneven tightening of the lug nuts. It is critical that a click-type torque wrench be used when tightening the nuts, otherwise uneven clamping forces and heating and cooling cycles will cause the rotors to warp again. The other clue that the nuts weren't properly torqued is the broken or stripped studs. Over-tightening of the nuts shows up the next time someone tries to remove them.

Alignment problems cause tire wear, pulling to one side, and / or a crooked steering wheel. They rarely result in a shimmy.

TAYO BALOGUN
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
When I applied brake on high speed. The front of my car vibrates front.
I changed the brake pad and disc and chamber of both side.
After I took it for alignment and balancing, but the problem persist.
Friday, March 5th, 2021 AT 11:02 AM (Merged)
SCGRANTURISMO

Usually this happens because the brake rotors is warped, or out of round, and it causes front end vibration and brake pulsation when braking. If you have replaced the brake pads and rotors, I would recommend checking the wheel bearings on your front wheels. To test a wheel bearing first jack up your vehicle and place it on jack stands. Here is a link below explaining how to do this safely, if needed, below:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Next grab one of the front tires at the top and push it towards the vehicle. Next, grab the bottom of tire and pull it away from the vehicle. If there is any play at all, then the wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. Check the other front tire in the same way. Here is a link below explaining how to replace a wheel bearing:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-wheel-bearings-and-seals

Please go through these guides and get back to us with how everything turns out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
DODGERTOWN
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
Brake pedal vibrates when stopped at the red light. If switch the gear to N or P vibration goes away. It's not vibrating while stopping the car, its once it completely stopped. Could it be from bad ABS sensor?
MHPAUTOS
I would start with a scan to check for any unresolved fault codes, let me know what you find.

DRCRANKNWRENCH
It could be a bad ABS sensor. The power brake booster could be another cause.
To check the booster.
Before starting the car, pump the brake pedal until it is firm.
Keep your foot firmly on the pedal and start the car.
The pedal should, "drop" as the car is started.
If it does not, have it checked by a certified repair shop.

Usually ABS sensors are more problematic in motion. However, the ABS solenoid, (which takes over the brakes when activated), could be at fault.
Either way, brakes are too important to put off. Get them checked as soon as possible.
Let me know how it goes.
DODGERTOWN
Is it possible to get a fault code if there is no check engine/abs light on?
Checked my brakes today, they are just fine but mechanic found some bad motor mounts. He said there no guarantee that after replacing mounts vibration will go away. Never thought that bad motor mounts could cause brake pedal vibration.
DRCRANKNWRENCH
I am pretty sure you can pull diagnostic codes regardless of the Dash Indicator Light being on.
It is strange to have vibration just in the pedal.
I had thought it might be motor mounts, but then you would feel the vibration elsewhere as well.
MHP always steers people right. I would at least have a scanner plugged in first. It should not cost much as the tool is $200 and up and it takes just a few minutes to read codes off of scanner.
Even if you do need mounts, it is still something you should do just for the fact that it may be brake related and that is the last thing you want to cut corners on.
Let me know how it turns out.
DODGERTOWN
***Update***

Just got my motor mounts replaced today. And. It actually helped! So, I would say the vibration in the brake pedal was due to bad/broken engine mount(s). I replaced all of them, besides the one on transmission.

Thank you guys for your help
DODGERTOWN
Yep, it was from bad motor mount(s)
Just got my motor mounts replaced today and there is no vibration in the pedal anymore.

Thanks for your replies guys!
DRCRANKNWRENCH
I am very glad to hear it worked out. Good thinkg you acted quickly as well because it could have lead to other issues.

It is always great to hear that advice has helped someone out.

Take care and come back if you need us.

Dr. C

Sponsored links