2007 Hyundai Tuscon Intermittent Air Conditioner

ODZ85
  • 2007 HYUNDAI TUCSON
Hello. My 2007 Hyundai Tucson has recently had an issue with the air conditioner. When I start the car it cools for a couple of minutes, but in stop and go driving it starts blowing warm air. If I get the car to 55mph the air conditioning starts blowing ice cold again until I have to stop or slow down. I have taken it to a shop twice and I am losing faith in them. They recharged it the first time and then replaced a valve the second time. The AC runs the same as when I first took it in to them, and now they are saying I should probably pay them to replace the whole compressor. I don't know much about air conditioning, but was wondering if the car would get cold if it is the compressor messing up, or if it is the condenser not getting air flow below 55mph. Thank you for your help.
Saturday, July 11th, 2015 AT 7:35 AM

I would trust your diagnosis first. Usually if the compressor works at times, it's working, ... Period. There ARE things that can cause them to work intermittently, but that is rare, and it won't be so consistent as what you have observed.

Your description suggests there's a problem with air flow through the condenser which is right in front of the radiator. There will be an electric fan that should be running when the AC is turned on. If it's not running, there won't be any air flow at low speeds and that will prevent the condenser from giving up its heat to the surrounding air. When the refrigerant stays hot, it can't absorb any more heat in the dash where it needs to start out cold.
-1
Saturday, July 11th, 2015 AT 9:04 AM