Engine overheating

MJREUTER18
  • 2007 CHEVROLET EQUINOX

My car keeps over heating when we drive over 10 miles. Also the air conditioner just stopped working. I don't know what the issue could be. We had to change to the light bulb and disconnected the fan by accident. The fans were reconnected and it didn't over heat for a week. It was also serviced about two weeks ago and they said it is a great looking high mileage vehicle.

Friday, June 21st, 2013 AT 5:38 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Does the cooling fans come on when its over heating? What could have happened is when the cooling fans where disconnected the first time and the engine was overheated it could have blown a head gasket.

Here is a guide to confirm the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, June 21st, 2013 AT 6:09 PM
MJREUTER18

Yes the cooling fan comes on when it is overheating. I will order a head gasket kit from amazon.

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 AT 8:40 AM
2CARPROS KEN

I thought it could be the thermostat, have you tried replacing it ?

Here is a guide to hep you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

The air conditioner will not work when the engine is over heating BTW.

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 AT 10:54 AM
MJREUTER18

I changed the thermostat and my car did not overheat for two days. I kept air conditioner on and it worked great and drove it almost 100 miles and the temp gage stayed below half the whole time. Today my wife drove it 2 miles and it is over heating again.

+3
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 11:03 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Sounds like the problem is intermitted, has the engine been checked for a blown head gasket? chemical check the radiator to see if exhaust gasses are present and let me know.

Check this video out

https://youtu.be/5zpNjYmmiYY

-1
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 12:31 PM
MJREUTER18

I just topped the coolant off bc it was a little low and drove it for about 10 min. When I would stop at a light and idle the air conditioner would get warmer and then cool down again when I drove. Then when I got home I let it idle in tje drive for a minute and the engine started to climb in temp. I dont smell anything burning and we just had a 100000 mile service done and they said everything looked great.

+1
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 12:47 PM
2CARPROS KEN

They would not have checked for a blown head gasket in the service. Please check and get back to me.

Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 12:58 PM
MJREUTER18

You where right I did the test and the head gasket is blown thanks for your help. I love this site :)

+1
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 1:17 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 9:38 PM
KIMYHILLS
  • 2007 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
  • 100 MILES

My car is overheating like all the other equinox I'm seeing online. I've done everything including head gaskets. Still overheating. Has anyone come up with a solution. Other than getting rid of it?

Thursday, September 28th, 2017 AT 4:09 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

So is the temp gauge going really high or is it just boiling ove the cap?Also is the radiator fan working correctly?

KIMYHILLS

Yes still going up after about 10 mile drive. Not boiling over. Checked the radiator fan, and the mechanic said blowing fine

SATURNTECH9

Are both upper and lower radiator hoses getting too hot to hold?

+1
FRANKR1
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox, everyone says to inspect oil residue to for possible damaged head gasket, well my question is what are we supposed to look for if using Dexcool? Is it still a milky substance? Reason being, I want to use process of elimination to diagnose an overheating problem as well as intermittent heat flowing into vehicle while driving. I had the cooling system diagnosed and thermostat replaced. Problem is Equinox still overheats while driving, fans do come on.I also hear gurgling sound on take off from a stopped position. There is a bleeder screw right on top of water pump, at least that's what it looks like, I just don't know the process of burping an Equinox, it has no rad cap.I know the process varies for different vehicles. Help me and thank you in advance.

FIXITMR

While running warmed up open screw until no more air comes out. Check a few times. Your vehicle is notorious for overheats due to coolant gasket issues primarily intake gaskets. Head gaskets usually result in misfires. You can get system pressure tested and combustion gas tested.

-2
FRANKR1

Thank you very much for your quick reply, I had an ASM Diagnostic Test done at Canadian Tire, but I didn't trust the guy. Just something about what he was saying, anyhow he said the Hydrocarbons were 168ppm after 20 minutes.I just thought he didn't burp the car properly because I ended up adding another gallon of Dexcool after his service.I just want to make sure the car has no air pockets. Should I take it for a second opinion?

-2
FIXITMR

I would.

+1
IKEIAS
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX

Car runs out, so far ive observed the fans not blowing and "cool fan " fuse are blown

WRENCHTECH

If it's blowing the fan fuse, the fan motor itself could be bad.

IKEIAS

Well I change fuse and the bigger fan has come on but still bubbling and running hot when I sit at a light