Over heating

TALL PAUL UC
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
Had heat problem. Flushed motor radiator, heater core. As had wrong coolant and was low. Refilled with proper coolant. Have tried to bleed system. Takes lots of water with no leak detected. Drive a mile starts to over heat and if you rev it up it will cool down, stop the fast idle and starts to heat again. 3.4 engine truck run good when cool. Any idea?
Saturday, August 9th, 2014 AT 1:07 PM

Does it over heat when driving at highway speeds? Did you replace the thermostat?
+2
Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 AT 9:43 PM
TALL PAUL UC
Yes that the first thing along with new antifreeze. After I cleaned up and changed fluid and thermo went fir a drive aprox 2 miles it stayed cool until I pulled back in driveway. It jumped all way to hot.I flushed block radi heater core first. Kept bleeding don't get any air now. No water in oil that I can see. It seem to do what it wonts to. Hows the best way to check for head gasket problems? Thanks. Paul
+1
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 1:47 PM
Since it doesn't overheat at faster speeds, that tells me the cooling fan isn't working properly. When driving, air can flow through the radiator to cool the engine. However, when stopped, there is no air flow. That is when the fan has to come on to draw air through the radiator.

Check that and let me know what you find. See if the cooling fans are working when it starts getting hot. (I believe in 05 they used electric fans. If it is a clutch fan, let me know.)

Heres an article on checking the head gasket, it will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test
+2
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 6:42 PM
TALL PAUL UC
They are electric and the work fine. They come on at 3/4 on gauge. Around 250 %. I have a open lot that I run it around for 20 min, it runs cool for that time ana all at once it over heats. It draws fluid out of the resaivor but it doesn't seem like as much gets back in it. Have you changed the plugs in that vehicle 3.4? The back plugs look like a real bear. Got any tips on them, with out takeing engine out.I would like to check for water on gap end. Thanks for any help.
+1
Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 AT 12:48 PM
As far as the plugs, remove the cover from the top of the engine. Remove the oil filler stem and then the cover. You should be able to reach them at that point.

As far as the coolant, you should see white smoke from the exhaust if coolant is getting into the combustion chamber.
Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 AT 6:46 PM
TALL PAUL UC
There was some white smoke when it was cold it stopped when it got heated. I guess a head are intake gasket? I got it at car auction. It did not over heat are smoke then. They must have docktered it up. Fire wall side spark plug looks like remove coil pack and assorted pipes. Wonder if I can find some good sealer for leak and send it back to them? Any ideas? Thanks again. T.P.
Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 AT 1:07 PM
Are you sure what you saw wasn't just steam from the exhaust system?

See this:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/white-smoke-or-steam-coming-from-the-exhaust-pipe
Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 AT 5:40 PM
TALL PAUL UC
Hi Jacob it does not smoke like the video. What s your thought about it runs cool until it starts to heat. When it gets hot expands the head are intake and lets exhust gas into water jacket? I also saw a lot of sites that might help me. Thanks for that. Have a good one t p
Thursday, August 21st, 2014 AT 1:47 PM
ONLY1TRIZ
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
I have a problem with this overheating when the heat or air is turn on. I top ot off with antifreeze start driving does fine intell I turn on the heat or the air what could be the problem with that.
Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 AT 5:11 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
So your leaking coolant and when enough leaks out it overheats?
-2
ONLY1TRIZ
Yeah. But cant find out where its going I put the dye in to see where its leaking at.
SATURNTECH9
Ho about your cap?Thats the most over looked cause of over heating and coolant loss?You could try the cap there cheap. If not your going to have to do a coolant pressure test and run a coolant block test on it. Your radiator fan turns on when it gets hot?
+3
ONLY1TRIZ
Ok. Yeah the fan turn on as well.
+1