LACK OF ACCELERATION

2006 Ford E-Series Van

decaptain2010

December, 7, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

My ford E150 engine was washed and engine was limited to idling alone the codes are po222 p2104 p2110 p0708 but the van cannot accelerate It can start but engine is unstable or flunctuates or unsteady

December, 10, 2010 AT 6:25 PM

The various diagrams explains the various codes.

Check for presence of water at the Throttle Position Sensor and Transmission range switch causing shorting or looseness or connectors.

Checek if wireharness had been dislodged while washing the engine. Some wires can get damaged by the exhaust when they have been dislodged from position and is resting against the exhaust.

decaptain2010

December, 13, 2010 AT 7:04 PM

I guess the water would have dried bcos it is up to 8 months now and it is not working. Where is the location of the Transmission Range switch. Thanks a lot

December, 14, 2010 AT 12:41 PM

The switch is located at side of transmission. The diagram shows a slightly darker component, that is the switch. It is also known as Park Neutral Position switch. Are all the indicators on dash for gear position working correctly?

When water gets to electrical connectors, they can cause shorting or open circuits as it can cause oxidations etc. Remove the connector to check for oxidations/rust etc.

Such shorting can cause damages to the PCM as well.

Have you erased the trouble codes and test vehicle before retrieving the codes again?

decaptain2010

December, 14, 2010 AT 5:47 PM

Thanks a million times but I want to confirm if you are saying the switch is located near the gear box, besides even at park position the vehicle cannot raise up or accelerate when I press the acelerator. Again if I get you well if I erase the trouble codes, could it work?The indications or lights on dash are 1)service engine soon 2)A spanner sign. Finally, please what are the electrical connectors you mean and again cant fuel pump be a cause too. Thanks for your concern

December, 14, 2010 AT 6:38 PM

You're welcome.

The trouble codes indicates a fault with the throttle position sensor and transmission range switch. The problem of not being able to accelerate should be due to a fault with the throttle rather than the transmission switch.

Connectors means for the transmisison range switch and the trhttle position sensor.

If it is a fault with the fuel pump, it would not show any codes. When trouble codes are present, they takes precedence over any others, with engine codes taking priority.

You should be concerned with P0222, P2104 and P2110 first.

decaptain2010

December, 14, 2010 AT 6:55 PM

Thanks a lot, but does it concerns the throttle body because I removed it to check for water and when we manaully connected it to a battery the motor on the throttle rotates and the throttle plate opened and close but we couldnt know the working condition of the throttle position censor. So does it means that we should not be concerned with the Transmission again or do we change the throttle body completely. Thanks

December, 14, 2010 AT 7:03 PM

Reinstall the throttle and clear all trouble codes.
Test drive and if problem persists, retrieve the trouble codes and if it indicates a fault with the TPS, perform test on it.

Let me know if the codes are the same.

decaptain2010

December, 20, 2010 AT 6:15 PM

Please are you saying perhaps if I clear the codes the vehicle might accelerate or dont you feel if there is no problem the van could have moved since or could you explain further. Thanks

decaptain2010

December, 20, 2010 AT 6:17 PM

And how do I perform a test on TPS. Thanks

December, 21, 2010 AT 12:51 PM

Problem could be due to intermittent failure of contacts and since you have removed the TPS to check, reinstall and clear codes. If it is intermittent poor contact the problem could have been cured. Test drive if problem goes away.

Engine codes takes precedence over transmission codes so you have to worry about engine trouble codes first.