Transmission does not shift

BIGGMIKE
  • 2006 DODGE DAKOTA
The transmission does not shift I changed the fuse and it worked for about 3 minutes then the fuse blew out and the transmission stop shifting what can cause that can the solenoid pack cause that problem please help I don't know what else to do thank you
Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 AT 8:25 AM

It sounds like you have a transmission control relay that is shorted out here is a guide to show you how to test it with the transmission wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works with the relay location.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 AT 9:30 AM
BOOPERIII
Thank you for this post I had this problem had to replace the relau. I got one for $32.00 never had the problem again. I love this site.
Thursday, October 11th, 2018 AT 5:53 PM
DONUT
  • 2004 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 2004 Dakota 2WD with V6, Automatic Trans and 13K on the odometer.

The transmission usually starts off normal, going through all the gears but some miles down the road the tach starts to drift higher as the engine speeds up. Example: On cruise at 50 mph, on level ground, the tach should show 1400 rpm. After a few miles, however, it will, for no apparent reason, start to drift higher, up to 2000 rpm. If I shift the gear lever into 2 and back to 3 the tack will quickly come back down to 1400 and stay there for a few miles before drifting up again.

The dealer said there was a diagnostic code indicating a problem with the transmission but they didn't believe it so they attempted to correct the problem by re-booting the computer. That didn't solve the problem so I took it back. Next time they told me that this behavior is normal and there is nothing wrong with the transmission.

I can't accept this diagnosis as I know it is not normal. Can you tell me what the cause is or how I can go about getting it resolved?

I will be pleased to make a donation if I get a meaningful solution to the problem
Thursday, October 11th, 2018 AT 5:54 PM (Merged)
Hi:
Today's transmissions use sensors to shift unlike the old days. If there was a code set for the trans, there is something is wrong but if they didn't tell you the code, anything I say would be a guess. You may want to take the truck to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer. Most will do it for free, and then we will have a direction to go with. Have you checked the simple things like. Is the trans fluid full, is it clean and unburned, have you serviced the trans with a new filter.

Let me know what you find.

02DAKOTA
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 2002 Dakota 3.9, 42RE trans. Truck will not up or down shift. Had codes P1756 & P0748. After replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer code P1756 cleared. Code P0748 is still active. The truck will shift fine until you make a stop then it will not shift automatically. But if you turn the truck off and restart it, it will shift fine even after making stops. It worked fine during the five mile trip I took. Why does restarting clear up the problem? Of course you will have to do this each time you use the truck. All wiring and connections look good.

Thank you.
ASEMASTER6371
Goes into limp mode when the problem happens. Turning it off and re starting clears itself and starts over.

Check the wiring in the pan and external connections.

02DAKOTA
When I replaced the sensor and transducer I saw no wire issues. I did pull all other trans related connections and checked them, all looked good but cleaned just in case. Found no external wire issues. I understand restarting resets everything but if there is a wiring or connection problem restarting doesn't repair the problem so where did it go. Resetting doesn't repair a bad connection or shorted wire? I'm confused!
ASEMASTER6371
Connections build up resistence with time and heat.

You need a scan tool to monitor the trans operation to see where the failure is. Guessing at this point is useless and expensive and in most cases wrong.

02DAKOTA
I will go through everything again, the only thing I can't check by just looking at it is the PCM other than the connections. Other than the three main connection on the PCM is there another connection I'm missing?

Thank you for your help.
ASEMASTER6371
Just the connections at the trans itself.

KEVIN JUST
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
My 2002 dakota pickup downshifts at 70mph. Runs fine between 60 and 70, and at 80mph.
Look for a sticking kick-down cable. Not sure if they use that on the Dakota but it is common on the full-size trucks.
02DAKOTA
Last resort I will pull pan again and pay more attention to the wiring going to the eight pin connector. Thank you.
ASEMASTER6371
Use an ohm meter and check the wiring.