Engine wont start

DRIGGERS48
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

2005 Kia Sorento, Will not start I was told it needed a timing belt because it broke. So I went to change the timing belt and its not broke and appers to be fine. It turns over fine and everything looks fine. I sprayed starter fluid down the intake and didnt get anything. Then I checked for spark and its got spark. The lady I got the car from told me a week before this happened there was a code for the cat. Should I ignore this code? I also have not ran the codes myself so I do not know if there anyothers. Please help!

Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 5:31 AM

**Cranks but no start condition:

Do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

+1
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 5:35 AM
DRIGGERS48

I do have spark! And I am bipassing the fuel system by putting starting fluid directly into the intake manifold! I was hoping to do this and if it started with the starting fluid I would know I have a fuel issue but I dint get anything. Just a few weeks before this happned I had a check engine light for a catilitic converter. Would this have something to do with my issue?

Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 1:39 PM

You got spark-but using starter fluid no combustion-Recheck for spark it should combust for a few secs and dies off-

-2
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 9:46 PM
JEFF3319
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

I just replaced the timing belt in my 2005 Sorento, I did this because the bolt broke off that holds the damper to the cam shaft. I now know this happens a lot with this model. My problem is that the car will not start. If I spray into the injectors I can keep it running but when I stop it dies. Any ideas.

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 11:07 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Check can and crank sensors. If ok see if you have power to the fuel pump. A quick check for codes wouldn't hurt either.

-1
ROBSR
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

Car tries to start, but wont turn over completely, and then it just rapidly clicks.

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 11:08 PM (Merged)

Check battery for condition including load test most places do for free also make sure terminals are clean.

+1
2CARPROS RENEE
  • 718 POSTS

Hi ROBSR,

Here is a link to helpful information from this site that features written instructions, pictures and a video explaining how to load test your battery yourself.

If you need further assistance please come back to 2CarPros.com. We are always happy to help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-battery

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

ROBSR

It ended up being a bad battery. However, I am now having trouble getting the belt around the alternator. Any tips?

Move the tensioner in the direction of the arrow in picture put belt on then release tensioner. It may take a wrench or ratchet to move it.

+2
BRDG71
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

My 2005 Kia Sorento won't start. I crank it up, the lights do turn on but it won't start the engine. Is it the starter?

If its cranking over and will not start -Do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

NICK22
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

I cranked my kia sorento drove it to the other side of the yard and parked it. A few mins later I went to leave to go to the store and it will not start now

+1

If not turning over, check battery for condition including load test then try resetting security system.

+1
LIFELOCK2010
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

2005 Kia Sorento 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 49,000 miles

We narrowed the problem down to the after market anti theft device installed by the previous owner. But where can we locate the main system interrupted relay and bypass main control circuit?

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 11:09 PM (Merged)

If it is an aftermarket system, you need to find a dealer that installs the brand you have. There are so many different manufacturers, we can not keep all the schematics or information on them.

-1
RICHAILLO
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

Just finished changing fuel filter, the next minute the car not starting, but does crank but not firing.

I have checked the fuel line and also try to use quick start, it does run for a second and went off again.

Any idea?

Try resetting seucity system if no manual look online, then scan for codes. And check fuses underhood

SFLOGAN429
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO

Drove the car five miles came back park in garage after parking tried to back up car would not start. No sound sound at all.

Lights, radio click is working. Sunroof will not open. Over night battery' died tried to jump lights came back on but still won't start. The car has a identity remote and remote keyless entry. Both lights up the keyless do not open or lock the car.

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the battery needs replacing, once the battery shorts out it will not jump start.

Is the battery more than three years old?