3.5 V6 NO START

2003 Kia Sorento

banus

April, 5, 2011 AT 10:15 AM

The car is a 2003 sorento 3.5 v6 with only 34,000 miles, the car is only used once in a while, and is in spain, the last time I used the car I topped up with fuel and went to do my journey.A mile or so into journey the car started miss firing badly and backfiring a few times no power ect, until finaly it died, it did restart but would only tickover and then died, it would not then restart. Towed car home, only fault codes on code reader where p0303 no 3 missfire and p0102 mass air fow. I have fitted new plugs, new mafs and also crank position sensor, all timing marks where spot on, I have checked fuel pressure, compression ect.I have also checked fuel quality ect, as I had only just put fuel into car. Now when I try to start engine it appears to be flooding, I say that because I have a fuel pump cutout switch fitted, and after trying to start with fuel pump on as normall it may fire a few times, but not run, if I then switch fuel pump off, it will after a few turns fire up momentary as though its burning the fuel left in the cylinders, there are no fault codes showing.
any help please

April, 5, 2011 AT 1:02 PM

Is the MAF new or used and is it of the correct specifications?

If the cylinder is flooding, it could be due to faulty injectors or PCM and that is where you should be looking at since everything seems to be working correctly.

banus

April, 5, 2011 AT 1:12 PM

New mafs, injectors seem fine, think its worth changing cam position sensor, thats the only other thing I can see may be upsetting injectors, though giving no code

April, 5, 2011 AT 1:18 PM

Cam sensors would normally cause a no spark situation.

banus

April, 5, 2011 AT 2:25 PM

Piece taken from kia tech manual. (The ecm sequentially activates the six fuel injectors through six individual ground controlled circuits, during initial engine cranking, the injectors are actuated simultaneously until no 1 cylinder is detected via the cmp signal. Each injector as four individual spray ports)
thats the only reason I asked about cmp sensor. I am an old school mechanic (plugs points disy carb no problem)but todays electronics I am lost.

April, 5, 2011 AT 2:56 PM

Based on these information, it is worth giving the CMP a try.

banus

April, 5, 2011 AT 4:18 PM

Will try cmp, I will let you know what happens, unfortunately. I will have to wait for one to arrive.

PlatinumHyundaiTech

April, 6, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

You never said if there is any spark, You need to verify this. You will still have spark with a bad cam sensor with this engine. The crank sensor innitiates spark with this system. Cam is for injectors.

banus

April, 7, 2011 AT 8:04 AM

Sorry, yes good spark on all plugs(new)every cylinder

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang