KIA PICANTO - ERRATIC STARTING PROBLEMS

• KIA-nonstarting
  • 2005 KIA PICANTO

My Kia Picanto 2005 1.1 LX has an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes starts and sometimes not - there is no consistent behaviour. I took it back to my car specialist twice and he could not find anything wrong. I read on various forums (and Hellopeter) that I am not the only one experiencing this problem on a Picanto, and I can see that the agents are trying in various ways to sort the problem (changes crackshafts, fuel pumps replaced, relays changed, keys re-coded at huge cost, etc etc) One solution a customer was given by the mechanic was to get rid of the car as a batch of Picanto's were dutts and has this starting problem on these 'dutts'. I can't go on using this unreliable car, which may get me stuck somewhere at any time! Please help. Christelle

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 2:11 PM

• Aaron_oc94

I have the exact same problem with my Picanto Lx 2005. I just bought the car two weeks ago and this has started happening, it just randomly wont start and then leave it for a while and it will start perfectly. I also brought it to a mechanic and he could not find anything wrong with it.. It is so frustrating! Does anybody have any ideas??

-1
Monday, September 5th, 2011 AT 10:49 PM
  • KIA-nonstarting

Most probably the reason why the previous owner sold this car! Very annoying, embarassing and a shame that Kia is unable to acknowledge or solve the problem. My car still happily non-starting at times :). I bought a Huyndai i20 now, as I drive long distances frequently, and passed the problem on to my daughter, with strict instructions to always be aware of this problem, to keep herself safe. She uses the car for runarounds town only.

-1
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 9:08 AM
  • Aaron_oc94

I think in the past few days ive got the nak of it because its been happining alot.. This is hard to explain because I dont know the technical words. But When you turn the key dont twist it all the way as far as it goes, just twist it lightly as far as the car will turn over and start. And also the second you twist the key press the accelorator (in neutral of course) lightly to about half way. Since ive been doing this it hasn't been a problem. I hope this will work for your daughter? : )

+4
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 10:43 PM
  • Fixitmr

Always try pushing pedal to different positions and cranking to try and start a car that does not start by just cranking. If this fails check for spark and fuel pressure.

-1
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 3:39 AM
  • Scottishden

Try disconecting the neutral on the battery overnight and itwill cure the starting problems

-2
Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 6:10 PM
  • Phillip Phogole

Hi? Iam also driving Kia Picanto I bought it on 2011 since I drove it I never experiance any problem it goes smoothly like breadbutter, sorry guys for your problems

Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 AT 1:33 PM
  • Winant

I have had variations on Picanto starting problems on our second car. Principaly used by my wife. Consequently the car is used sporadicaly and mainly for short local journeys. If it is used for a longer journey the problem abates for a while. The battery is very small. If the car is started frequently without the battery having a chance to recharge it slowly loses power. The resulting faults/symptoms can vary, depending on the cars most recent history of temperature, journey times, the batteries electro/chemical activities. If there is just enough charge to get you started to the local garage. Y' ou drive there (charging) SURPRISE SURPRISE! NO PROBLEM!

Drive home, leave it in the drive a few days and, depending on any, or all, of the above factors the car has degrees of difficulty starting.

My personal solution is to give a good period on the battery charger, that should get you going. Give it some more periods over a few days with gaps to let the chemical reaction work. If your driving patern consists of short journeys you need to give regular battery topups.

It works for me!

It also occurs to me that the car may accomodate a bigger battery but I would need to take proffesional advice on that. Good luck!

Allard

Saturday, March 12th, 2016 AT 7:37 AM