CAR HAS A WHINING NOISE WHEN I PULL AWAY BUT ...

• feroza
  • 2005 Kia Picanto

Car has a whining noise when I pull away but when reaching 50 kmph and over the noise goes away.I had gearbox repaired took car back 15 times thinking its the gearbox but noise doesn't go away. Car has been serviced regularly. I am very frustrated as the noise I s still there. The gearboxks have been changed 8 times so I don't think it is the gearbox as all parts was replaced. I alsohad a new radiator fitted but the car gets very hot. Check water and oil regularplease assist. I sometimes get a burning smell
I am currently unemployed and live in South Afria. I would greatly appreciate your help. God bless

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 12:47 PM

• KHLow2008

I need to clarify this, was the transmission ever replaced or it was only repaired 8 times?

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?
Below 50 kph, does shfting to neutral and allowing vehicle to coast result in the noise?

Do you need to keep topping up the coolant in radiator?
Is the cooling fan working correctly?
Under what circumstances does the overheating occur?

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 1:01 PM
  • feroza

It is an automatic transmission, the car loses power and battles to move into the next gear. The car went back 15 times. The boxes, planatory gears and other parts for gearbox have been replaced. So when I pull away there is a whinning noise

The faing fine but think it makes like a grrrr noise

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 1:11 PM
  • KHLow2008

If the fan is noisy, it means a failing motor and that can result in overheating when the motor stops intermittently.

You did not answer my other questions.
Does the noise occur when coasting below 50 kph? Does it go away when it shifts to 3rd or OD? You need to verify and I believe the transmission is causing the noise. The planetary gears are not the cause, it could be the needle bearings of the clutches.

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 1:25 PM
  • feroza

I have to replace the fan?

Yes its does make a noise below 50 kph

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 1:42 PM
  • KHLow2008

Does the noise occur when you shift to neutral and allow it to coast?

If the fan motor is noisy, it is a matter of time before it completely fails. Regardless of it being the cause of the overheating or not, you would have to replace it sooner or later.

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 1:56 PM
  • feroza

When I put gears in drive and drive off that's when it makes the whinng noise and if car reaches like 50kph its goes away and intermitantly it battle to change over to the next gear. Its almost like the car losing power. I hope I am explaining well

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 5:01 PM
  • KHLow2008

I am still not getting the information I want and I will go one by one.

Does the whining noise occur when you shift to neutral and allow it to coast?

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 5:09 PM
  • feroza

Let me try again, the car is parked and gear in park "P"then I start the car I the change the gear to Drive "D" put down the hand brake and drive off that's when the car makes the whinning noise. This is an automatic transmission, am I making sense

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 5:16 PM
  • feroza

Ti accelarate the noise goes away if I stop at robot and drive off when robot green it whines and the more I accelarate to get a faster speed the whine goes away.

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 5:20 PM
  • feroza

I mean the more I accelerate to get a faster speed the noise goes away

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 5:23 PM