JEEP STARTED RUNNING ROUGH PUT HIGHER OCTANE GAS...

• Thull
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

Jeep started running rough, put higher octane gas in and worked for a few days. Car started running rough again and this time when engine was turned off it would not start up again. Took it to a new Dodge dealer and they say we need a new computer $1000.00 plus spark plugs and engine had a build up of carbon. Car has had all it maintenance through 100,000 miles and just had an inspection and oil change at our local Dodge dealer back where we live and there was no suggestion that the car had any carbon, spark plug or computer problems. Even the tow truck driver said he felt it was the fuel pump when it was towed to this new dealer. No engine alerts or lights ever came on when it was running rough to show the computer was bad. Are we being taken by this Dealer? Our Dodge dealer is about 200 miles away. We think we might be being taken advantage of. What do you think?

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Get a second opinion if you dont believe them.

Anything can happen at anytime no matter when you had it serviced.

Pricing is about right. I would get another opinion.

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:14 AM
  • Thull

Per my son, if the computer was failing we should have had some error messages or engine lights should have come on. None of this happened. We are going to get a second opinion. I was hoping you would have stated if the engine lights should have come on.

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:22 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

They do not have to come on for a computer failure. Most of the time, it is a software failure and will not code. Unfortunately, there is no warning for that

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:25 AM
  • Thull

Thank you Roy that response helps. You have a good night and I hope our second opinion on the car comes out a little less money!

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:44 AM