You pulled this out and yes, it affects the timing if it is not correctly installed. Here are the procedures to get it back into position.
Fuel system synchronization is controlled by position of oil pump drive shaft assembly.
1. Clean oil pump drive mounting hole area of engine block. Install NEW oil pump drive shaft assembly-to-engine block gasket. Temporarily install a pin punch or drift through access hole on side of oil pump drive housing. Align hole on pulse ring with hole in
housing. See Fig. 57.
2. If engine crankshaft or camshaft was not rotated, go to next step. If engine crankshaft or camshaft was rotated, CMP sensor relationship must be adjusted, go to step 4.
3. Install oil pump drive shaft assembly into engine while aligning oil pump slot. Rotate oil pump drive shaft assembly to its original position. Install hold-down bolt finger tight. Go to step 5.
DO NOT rotate engine against normal rotation to align
4. Remove ignition coil rail assembly. Remove cylinder No. 1 spark plug. Rotate engine (in direction of normal rotation) until pressure is felt in cylinder No. 1. Slowly continue to rotate engine until timing mark aligns with Top Dead Center (TDC) (zero degrees) on
timing scale. Install oil pump drive shaft. If oil pump drive does not drop down flush with engine block, oil pump slot is not aligned properly. Remove oil pump drive shaft and rotate so oil pump slot aligns with shaft on bottom of oil pump drive shaft. Install oil
pump drive shaft and rotate oil pump drive shaft assembly to its original position. Install hold-down bolt finger tight. Go to next step.
5. Remove pin punch or drift from oil pump drive shaft assembly. Install CMP sensor onto oil pump drive shaft assembly. CMP sensor connector should be facing rear of engine (zero degrees). Connect CMP sensor connector. Install spark plug and ignition coil rail
assembly (if removed). Go to next step.
6. To verify correct rotational position of oil pump drive, DRBIII
scan tool must be used. Connect DRBIII scan tool to Data Link Connector (DLC), located below driver's side of instrument panel, near steering column. Start engine. Ensure engine is at normal
operating temperature. With engine idling, select SET SYNC from scan tool menu. Observe scan tool display.
7. If scan tool displays IN RANGE and zero degrees, procedure is complete. If scan tool does not display IN RANGE and zero degrees, loosen hold-down clamp bolt and rotate oil pump drive shaft assembly until reading is as close to zero degrees as possible, and IN RANGE message is displayed. Tighten hold-down clamp bolt to specification. Turn engine off. Remove scan tool.
Images (click to enlarge)
Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM