Engine stalled while driving and wont start

VQPOWERED
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I have a 2005 dodge neon that died on me while I was it. It would idle a little rough but drove normal before it just died now the car wont start any help would be great.
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 6:50 PM

It sounds like you lost the timing belt please check the compression to confirm the failure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

If none here is a guide to help you change you the timing belt.

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/dodge/neon/2005

These are non interference engine so don't worry about the valves.

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
+2
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 7:40 PM
Most common causes are camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. There will usually be a related diagnostic fault code stored in the Engine Computer. Many auto parts stores will read those codes for you for free. Those codes will get you to the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, not necessarily to the defective part.
+2
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 7:43 PM
VQPOWERED
I checked for spark and I am getting spark. Could it be the timing belt or the crank sensor?
-1
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
It could be the timing belt I would check compression to confirm.

this guide can help as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down these guides and report back.

Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
VQPOWERED
Havent had a chance to check the fuel pressure yet. Got stuck with the car late at night and spark was the first thing I checked for. When I get home from work later I can check the pressure.
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
Hi JDL. I'm confused by it having spark. On older models it won't if either sensor is defective, but from what I've read, beginning with the early 2000s models, there will be spark if only one sensor fails and I think it can run on just one but the injector firing times will be off a little. I'd still be looking at fuel pressure or fault codes. Check for spark on both pairs of cylinders. Unless things have changed for '05 models, if the timing belt is off by one tooth, the Check Engine light will turn on and the stored fault code will be "cam and crank sync". The engine won't run well either. At two teeth off, the Engine Computer will shut the engine down to protect the valves. At three teeth off, the open valves will hit the pistons and be bent.

On the single cam engine, there was a common problem with the dowel pin between the camshaft and sprocket shearing off, and the sprocket would turn slightly on the camshaft. The timing marks would be correct, but the camshaft itself would be late. The camshaft position sensor would pick that up because it's at the other end of the camshaft. The symptom often is a no-start condition with one of the two coils firing intermittently so it looks like you have spark when you really don't.
-2
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 8:29 PM
VQPOWERED
I checked to see if the camshaft was turning and it is not so I opened up the timing belt cover and the belt is shredded. So it took a while but I got the new one on ehtere and the engine started right up :) thanks for your help I love this site.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 4:05 PM
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers
-1
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 7:09 PM
TANYA KEEFE
Had this problem today. Car was running and then stopped randomly while I was idling at an intersection and would not even try to turn over. My husband came, and after a brief inspection, found a burned out 20 amp Control fuse. Second up on left on driver side. He said it was an AP/ something. Fuse box is under the hood on the upper corner by the driver's side. (In case anyone reading this doesn't know)

Jumping the car hadn't worked. The OBD reader wasn't getting power. Kept telling him while doing his connect to turn the power on even though it was.

Instantly when he changed it, the car started just fine. Car is running much smoother too. Not sure what caused the Fuse to blow.
+1
Sunday, April 30th, 2017 AT 2:32 PM
For the blown fuse, without digging into a wiring diagram, the best suspect right now is a wiring harness to the oxygen sensors fell down onto hot exhaust parts and is grounding out intermittently. The fuse associated with the heaters in the O2 sensors is the same one that feeds the injectors and ignition coil pack, so those circuits will be dead too.
-1
Monday, May 1st, 2017 AT 10:15 PM
RJSTEIGER
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Engine died after short trip to work. I checked and there was no fire on #1 and 4 plugs. I replaced coil pack, computer code reader showed Po340 cam sensor malfunction. Replaced cam sensor, car will not start. Engine will turn over, checked fuel rail is getting gas, replaced on board computer 2 years ago 2 fuel injectors were on all the time. Is there anyway to check on board computer to see if it is working properly. Computer code reader is showing NO CODES!
Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 AT 5:39 PM (Merged)
KEN
Hi RJSteiger,

Are the injectors pulsing? It sounds like it could be the crankshaft angle sensor, its a common problem,

Here is an article to help

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Let me know what you find :-)

Best, Ken
2CARPROS MIKE
RJSteiger

Ken

I, already replaced the cam sensor, and the code reader shows NO CODES, but it also shows P0340 PD on 2 dates. Is it possible that the cam sensor is bad, or that the on board computer is not sending the signal to the can sensor to allow spark? The 2.0 L engine has 119,000 miles, but it was running fine and just died. What if the timing chain is bad, will it cause a crank but no start?

Richard
KEN
Hi RJSteiger,

Sorry for the confusion, the part I am speaking of is the crankshaft position sensor, not the camshaft angle sensor, I hope this clears things up

Best, Ken
2CARPROS MIKE

Ken,

I replaced the Cam sensor, and now the code reader shows NO CODES, the engine will not start. Will the camshaft angle sensor keep the engine from starting? I don't have much money and I can only do simple repairs I am 64 and partially disabled. Is there anyway to check the cam sensor to see if it is working? Can you check the ECM to see if it is working? The code reader shows NO CODES. I had to replace the ECM 2 years ago.

Richard
KEN
Hi Richard,

The cam sensor will not keep the engine from starting, their will be no codes set for a failed crankshaft sensor which will keep the engine from starting,

No codes are set for this sensor because the computer thinks the engine is simply not turning, ie. Stalled, out of gas etc.

You can sometimes use a voltmeter set on mila-volts to see if voltage is generated when the engine is being cranked over, it should be a three wire connector, test all combinations.

Let me know how it goes,

Best, Ken
2CARPROS MIKE
RJSteiger

Ken

I am confused. The code reader showed P0340 which is for cam sensor malfunction, and I replaced it and now the code reader shows NO CODES. Your reply talks about the crankshaft sensor, is that the angle crankshaft senor? I am 64, and have partial disability, so I can't get under the car, and I can't afford to take my car to a shop. Can the crankshaft sensor be checked without removing the starter? If the timing chain is bad will it keep the engine from starting?
MAGI2420
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I can not get my car to start. It has power but no clicking to start. I ran threw a puddle a few days ago an the engine light came on. We took it to diagnosed and they said it was the air intake sensor. We decided to see if it would dry before replacing it. Two days later the car won't start. Whats up?

We tried the curcuit. That seems to be fine. How do we tell if the starter is bad?
Are you saying the starter won't even crank? If so, check the starter circuit. I'd have to be sure the battery has a full charge and the battery connections are good. I can't rule out your security system?

In the diagram, the red wire on top of starter relay is hot all the time. The yellow wire on top, goes hot with the key in the crank position. The computer grounds the coil side of relay to energize.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_05_dodge_neon_2.jpg

+1
KEN
Hi RJSteiger,

Sorry for the confusion, without the engine running the computer cannot gather current codes, if the engine has a broken timing belt/chain it will not start. Does the engine sound normal when cranking over?

It looks like the sensor is just above the starter in this diagram

Please let me know

Best, Ken