2005 Chrysler Pacifica transmission

SAMMAX1
  • 2005 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
I have had zero issues with the car. However, I just went into the store for 20 minutes and when I returned and attempted to leave my car will not go into gear. The locking mechanism works when I press the brake but it will not go into gear.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 3:23 PM

SEANGRANT00
Will the car start?
Also what size engine do you have?

It initially sounds like a lever that allows the gear selector to move freely when the brake is applied. I have seen a couple where the clip that holds the spring cracks. I can give you further instruction on how to check, it takes a couple hours though. Let me know

Sean
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 3:34 PM
SAMMAX1
The car will start and runs fine. When I press the brake you can hear the safety mechanism release (clicks) then I can move the shifter to the right but when I try to pull it down the column it will not move.
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 3:47 PM
SEANGRANT00
It sounds like the clip is bad. It could also be is the transmission shift cable, but it sounds like the clip. You could hear the actuator release but it still not have disengaged to allow it to shift.

Sean
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 3:53 PM
SAMMAX1
When the actuator releases the shifter will disengage from the locked position and will move freely in the (P) groove. But when I try and pull it down it is definitely locked and won't move. Can you give me an approximate repair cost so I can know what to expect.

Thanks for the assistance.
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 4:03 PM
SEANGRANT00
There is no set price for diagnostics, there are a lot of factors involved. Like what part of the world you live in, type of shop, ect. Ect.

Normally anywhere from $50 to $100 an hour to diagnosis a problem, and then depending on what they find. This could also be a recall, in which it could be free if you take it to the dealership. I would give them a call and let them know whats going on and ask if there are any recalls on the problem.

Sean
Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 4:22 PM