Fuel pump removal

DWLEO
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU

How can I remove the fuel pump from a 2005 Malibu V6? Do I have to drop the tank or is there an access port?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 3:12 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Start by disconnecting the battery and raise the car safely. Here is a couple gudies and some diagrams (Below) on how to do the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

This guide will give you an idea for how to pull the tank

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Install a new O-ring on the modular fuel sender to tank.
Connect the ventilation harness inside the fuel tank to the bottom of the modular fuel sender cover.
Slowly apply pressure to the top of the spring loaded sender cover until the sender aligns flush with the surface of the tank.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 8:16 PM
07GLIDE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2005 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

engine cranks but wont start Im thinking it might be fuel pump, went ahead and replaced fuel filter first. Is the fuel pump on top of fuel tank or is it right by filter

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 8:18 PM (Merged)

Cranks but no start condition-do below to determine whether it's fuel or spark related issue:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

The fuel pump is mounted in the fuel sender assembly reservoir. The fuel pump is an electric high-pressure pump. Fuel is pumped to the fuel injection system at a specified flow and pressure. The fuel pump delivers a constant flow of fuel to the engine even during low fuel conditions and aggressive vehicle maneuvers. The control module controls the electric fuel pump operation through a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump flex pipe acts to dampen the fuel pulses and noise generated by the fuel pump.

REDWOOD422
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic/Malibu that won't start. The battery is coming on and engine tries to come on. When I asked a few car savvy friends they all said it sounded like my fuel pump went out. I changed it and put more gas into it. It is still not getting that final "connection" to come on. Please help!

REDWOOD422

Yes, crank, no start. The anti-theft light is on. I was reading other questions/posts, and it seems like that goes hand in hand with my problem.

SATURNTECH9

With security light on or flashing means the computer has disabled the fuel injectors because there is a fault somewhere in the antitheft system.I posted how to relearn the pass lock sensor when your done with step 4 after the final time of waiting ten mins shut the key off for 30 seconds and then see if it will start. If it does it may not start the next time. You need to get your body control module codes read which the basic code readers and scanners wont read. You can try a basic code reader to see if it can read any helpful codes. Let me know what you find.

GUDKARMA08
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU

Other Category problem
2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

how do I install a new fuel pump

SERVICE WRITER

You need to have the vehicle high enough to be able to remove the tank. Once the tank is out, the fuel pump is held in from the top of the tank with a lock ring.

CASSY241
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

Please tell us how to change a fuel pump in 2003 Malibu

PTRI1`SF3
  • 2002 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2002 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

19,000 miles ago changed fuel filter. New battery run down from cranking. 15 minutes trying to jump
start battery. New electric fuel pump installed Fuel is coming out of fuel rail port. There is no sound coming from new fuel pump. There is a half tank of fuel. Sophisticated diagnostic machine earlier with old pump inside said 1 engine problem but did not clearly identify it. Frien who is mechanic took maint. Free
battery home to charge completely tonight Also definitely getting a spark from plugs Earlier we changed around (with old fuel pump) fuel pump relay with another matching relay figuring they both could not be bad. No difference. Unsure if 19,000 old fuel filter could be the culprit. Unsure if fuel regulator could be a problem instead. Since purchase of vehicle at 42,000 miles from Enterprise, we have not changed timing belt or timing chain; unsure if this could be connected with our problem now. Also, since 42, 00 miiles, htere has been no emissiion control units changed. Within 5,000 miles, we had another local mechanic perform intake manifold regasketing due to antifreeze leak which did not get into oil and vise-versa. Car was running as usual with old fuel pump with lesser mileage and some loss of overdrive power.

BMRFIXIT

What do you have for fuel pressure
do you have a security light on and or blinking as you cranking

BSTATON
  • 2002 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2002 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

how do you release fuel pressure and how do you relplace the fuel pump

BMRFIXIT

Fuel rail has a valve on it
fuel tank has to come down

ADVANCEGUY69
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 82,700 miles

is there an access panel for the fuel pump or do I have to drop the tank?

MMPRINCE4000

Remove carpet in trunk. If accessable from above there will be a round ring with a fuel in/out line and an electrical connector.

If not then you will have to drop tank.

If pump is not coming on, check fuse/relay first before removing pump. In other words, make sure the pump is the problem before you replace it. It may be low oil pressure is shutting off the pump to prevent engine damage.

Unless you hae run the car out of gas a few times, it would be unusual for the pump to be bad in an '03.

PLAYERSCHOOLBOY
  • 2006 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2006 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

where is the fuel regulator located and how do I change it? Is the only way of changing the fuel pump is by dropping the tank?

BLACKOP555

The fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel rail, and there are usually screws that hold it on then it pulls off.

For the fuel pump, I usually drop it other then mess around with access panels. Usually when I have the tank down I check the tank over for rust. And paint it with rust proofer or clean out the outside and the inside to get all the water and old gas and debris out!

LOVEJAKAYLA
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU

2004 chevrolet classic it starts then in about three weeks it cut off and we changed the fuel pump ingation coil o2 seners

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 8:19 PM (Merged)

Can you please be specific with your problem so we can help you.

DMK1970
  • 2002 CHEVROLET MALIBU

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2002 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 153, 00 miles

I have had my water pump, fuel pump, tune-up already replaced.