2005 Chevrolet Aveo Overheating

ERICBWEST
  • 2005 CHEVROLET AVEO

I commute with this car about 80 miles a day. Lately it's been trying to overheat. Sometimes successfully. It has a new water pump which I replaced recently when I did the timing belt kit. It also has a new thermostat and housing/outlet. The system has been flushed and refilled with dex-cool antifreeze/coolant. After all that the car still wants to overheat, but only when doing freeway speeds or going up a hill ect. Basically when the engine is reving or turning more then 2000/2500 rpms. I have to keep the heater going full blast and sumtimes that isn't even enough to keep it cool. I now have the radiator out of the car and I flushed it out with the garden hose. It doesn't seem to be clogged. The tubes that I'm able to see( only a few) don't look clogged. Should I replace the radiator anyways? Or try reinstalling it and see if it helped? Or do you think it could be a clogged cat converter? I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Eric

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 2:27 AM

KHLOW2008

Symptom indicates inefficient cooling and with the aid of the heater, you are able to control the overheating, that points to a clogged radiator as the most likely cause since the thermostat is new.

If you were able to see a little clogging at the few tubes, there could be more for those you can't see.

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 4:27 AM
ERICBWEST

Ok I thought would go ahead and replace just so all the based are covered. So I'll replace it and see if that solves the problem. Thanks again

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 1:47 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

Good luck.

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 9:51 PM
WIRELESSGAL
  • 2004 CHEVROLET AVEO

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 38000 miles

I have changed the thermostat and housing and gasket. I must have not bled the system correctly because the car it still overheating. How do I bleed the air from the system? Which cap do I take off. The overflow or the actual radiator cap?

Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 12:25 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Look for a bleeder near the thermostat housing and open it while the engine is running and the radiator cap is off. Some cars have them and some don't. Here is a guide to help you do some testing on why it would be overheating, please check it out and get back to me so I can keep helping or if you have fixed the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

NACAJ51
  • 2004 CHEVROLET AVEO

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 60000 miles

my air condictioner was not working well then this morning my car overheated

TOOOMANYTOYS

Is the cooling fan coming on when a/c compressor is on? What does the condition of the antifreeze look like?

-1
WIRELESSGAL
  • 2004 CHEVROLET AVEO

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 35000 miles

My 2004 chev aveo, I was not getting much heat from it all winter. Heater would be on all the way and turned up all the way and I would get warm air then cool then warm. Now when my car idles in traffic, the temperature gage is climing up to the 125 celcius. Is it my theromostat that has to be replace or the heating core.

BLACKOP555

I would definetely make sure the cooling fans are coming on, the coolant level is full and I would change the thermostat as well. Be sure all the air is bleed out of system after doing this

+1
RANDY SHARP
  • 2005 CHEVROLET AVEO

Engine getting hot it bubbles and then it seems ti boil the water in the expansion tank, the other day I took out
the thermostat and it seemed all right but now she tells me it is still doing it and also I performed a combustion test to see if there was any combustion gases in the coolant and there wasn't and water pump seems to be moving water because I turned on the heater and there was hot air and I took off the bottom hose of the radiator and it seemed to running through pretty good does any body else have a idea. Thank You

MHPAUTOS

Did you do a chemical head check? And I would get the radiator core cleaned as you may still have plugged core tubes, this will restrict flow not stop it.

-2
CIRE_NM
  • 2006 CHEVROLET AVEO

Engine Cooling problem
2006 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 20000 miles

in saudi arabia, most shop have this long lifecoolant available, question, is it advesable to use this coolant on the chevy aveo vehicle? Owners manual is a bit unclear on wheather this type of collant can be use.

RHALL77

My suggestion is to use the factory recommended coolant. Even the dex cool they suggest that you dont have to replace for 100,000 mile still clogs stuff up. No matter what I would still flush the cooling system when needed and install new coolant. This will save you in the long run.