IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY TRANSMISSION?

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

Clk!!20

May, 13, 2012 AT 8:29 AM

I have a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 4 cylinder 4 speed automatic transmission with 67,000 miles. I was driving up a mountain pass today with the cruiseI have a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 4 cylinder 4 speed automatic transmission with 67,000 miles. I was driving up a mountain pass today with the cruise on. When the highway leveled out the car quit accelerating for a couple of seconds. The speend dropped like 5 mph then it jerk really hard and sped back up. Then about two minutes later it did the same thing so I took it off of cruise and it was fine. Then I exited and came to a stop. I took off and it shifted through first fine but then when it went to shift into second it quit accelerating. I kept pushing harder on the petal until it was to the floor. It did nothing. It didn't rev or anything. It was as if I was not pressing on the gas petal. It was just idling at like 6 or 700 rpms. It was like that for about 10 - 15 seconds. Then all the sudden it took off. I parked it in a parking lot for like four hours. On the 125 drive back home it was fine. The drive back was going down the mountain. I am very concerned about this issue. It could be very dangerous.

DrCranknWrench

May, 13, 2012 AT 8:40 AM

The first thing to do is have the trouble codes pulled at ana Advance Auto or Auto Zone or a local repair shop. It will probably be free as most places do thsis for free. This will give you an idea where to go. The crusie control may have to be dis-engaged for now. Look for the fuse in the fuse panel diagram on the back of the box. If I had a diagram I would send you what the unti looks like so you could disonnect it from the throttle plate.
Look under the hood into the fuse box there for crusie control fuses asa well until you get the codes read ad have this repaired.

Clk!!20

May, 13, 2012 AT 8:48 AM

I forgot to say that no engine lights came on and the cruise was off when it did it from the take off. Do you think it could still be the cruise causing this?

DrCranknWrench

May, 13, 2012 AT 10:23 AM

It could either be a vacuum leak in the crusie control or it is the manin control or a control servo. Even if you do not have a check engine light on you can still pull trouble codes.
I do believe it is the cruise control.