2002 Volkswagen Jetta Shifting Problem

METALHEAD
  • 2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
The car is having a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear usually when the car is cold. Dealer quoted $4000 for new trans, and a repair shop quoted $3700. The car is currently at AAMCO who ran a diagnostic which came back with only the triptonic code which they said shouldn't be the issue. Currently they are running an electric diagnostic as they believe the problem could be something other than the transmission and possibly something electronic.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? I have searched the internet and it seems there are many people with the same problem, but doesn't provide a clear answer of what the issue is/was. Seems most people paid for a new transmission only to have the problem return or more transmission problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
E
Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 3:14 PM

MLARA09
Ahh dude
i have the same problem.. gets annoyin..
a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8 T with tip trans.

when its cold it gets stuck on 3rd gear wont shift
till i press the gas pedal and the RPM goes to 60..
i also took it to amcoo said it was trans. but then took it to a family machanic and said its not the trans. its electrical. I can HONESTLY say its electrical he had it in the shop for about 3 months though.. what a pain in the butt .. well the last part he changed that made the great impact were the transmission relays..(about may of 09) worked fine till now.. its back doing the same..
he said it has to be electrical because other wise the trans. wouldnt shift at ALL. and obviously when its warm or so it works just fine..
well mine sometimes on some turns it messes up .. might turn again and works fine.. might just loose sensor or so idk..
i had also asked a UTI student that works with AUDI and said could be the trans fluid.. but darn VW has a sealed trans so you cant do it that easily....

well let me know if yours gets fixed

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/486954_untitled_1.jpg

(isnt she a beauty..)
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 12:50 AM