99.5 VR6 AUTO STUCK IN FIRST GEAR, CAN MANUALLY SHIFT THROUGH GEARS

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

countzero

June, 15, 2012 AT 1:33 PM

Having issues with 99.5 vw jetta, vr6 automatic. Problem started with an overheat caused by orig owner using wrong type of coolant. During incident parked car to let cool and added water, and at that point the car was stuck in third gear(limp mode?) After flushing the radiator and adding G12 coolant and clearing all codes, the car gets stuck in first gear, when it attempts to shift into second it feels like it goes into neutral, I've discovered that by manually shifting from 1 through d the car will again drive normally without further manual shifting. What the hell?

hmac300

June, 15, 2012 AT 2:17 PM

Have a trans guy look at this, it sounds like avalve body problem. One of the valves may be stuck or spring broken in valve body

countzero

June, 16, 2012 AT 12:25 PM

Guess I neglected to mention how broke I am. Is there any way its something simple, wiring, in need of a fluid/filter change etc? Of course just checking the transmission fluid on this car requires tools and mechanical inclination. Both of which i've been blessed with, not so much the inclination, but thats where my dad and brother step in ; D thank god for family

vwscott

July, 11, 2012 AT 8:47 AM

Try scanning the transmission for faults. If the PRNDL is blacked out it most likely has a dtc stored.

hmac300

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:26 PM

Sorry it has to be scanned to find the problem.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250