1989 VW JETTA 1.8 ENGINE/TRANSMISSION NOISE

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1989 Volkswagen Jetta
  • automatic

1989 VW Jetta 1.8 F/I mileage: 110,000. Every time I am driving rather "spirited" and I wind the engine up beyond 4000 RPM, the engine/transmission noise changes from a high-pitched noise as seems normal, to a low deep rumble. In general, the car also begins to vibrate a lot more. It seems that it is only at 4000 RPM and above, and only when the car is in drive. I talked to the dealer and they said, "don’t run it above 4000 RPM (not a lot help). Anyway, the only thing that I can think of is that when it began was right after a very long road trip, say around 1500 miles. I changed the transmission fluid from whatever was stock to Redline MTL. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 11:59 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

Try changing the transmission fluid back to the brand recommended by the factory and then drive it for a couple of days. If your problem persists, your transmission may be ready for an overhaul.

Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 12:21 AM