2004 Saturn Vue 04 wont start

LOVETTISAIAH
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
My Saturn Vue wont start. Long story short it was because of running it with no motor oil. So everyone is telling me that its now locked up.

I didnt have any lights come on but the battery light (for a day or two). There was no over heating or smoking on/in the car. It just simply cut off when I was pulling into a gas station. Since then, I have changed the oil filter, replaced oil, and turned the crank pulley by hand to make sure the motor wasnt truly locked up. These are things that other mechanics have told me to try. The pulley turns, there is 3 quarts of oil in it to lube everything. And the filter is brand new.

When I try to start it all I get is one click and thats it, nothing else. What can possibly be wrong with my car?
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 4:12 PM

If you can turn the crank pulley, it isn't locked up. Did you hear any knocking or ticking from the engine before it died? Have you checked to make sure the battery is fully charged? Have you checked to see if there is power to the starter when you turn the key to the start position?
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 8:42 PM
LOVETTISAIAH
Yeah, fully charged battery, starter is clicking and getting power.I talked to a buddy of mine and he said I couldhave flooded the engine trying. To start it alpt
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 8:46 PM
When you turn the crank by hand, can you turn it fully around a couple times?
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 8:49 PM
LOVETTISAIAH
Yeah, not super easy to do, but yeah I can turn it around
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 8:52 PM
I think at this point, make sure all battery terminals are clean and tight. Also, make sure the main ground from the battery to the engine block is clean, tight, and all cables are in good condition. If that all checks out, you need to pull the starter and have it bench tested. If it is getting power and not turning the engine, it may be bad.

Most parts stores will bench test it for you for free.

Also, a flooded engine wouldn't cause this. I asked if you could turn the engine because I have seen head gaskets go bad and fill a cylinder with coolant. As a result, there was what is called hydrostatic lock.

Let me know what you find.
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 9:02 PM
LOVETTISAIAH
Thanks, ill check that out tomorrow
Friday, June 6th, 2014 AT 9:40 PM
Let me know what you find.
Saturday, June 7th, 2014 AT 7:43 PM
LOVETTISAIAH
It was the cables, knocked some crud off, cleaned and rehooked em and it started right up. Now im going to do an oil change and ill be good. Thanks for the help and advice!
+1
Saturday, June 7th, 2014 AT 8:05 PM
That's good news. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

+1
Sunday, June 8th, 2014 AT 6:43 PM