SATURN VUE WON'T START AT TIMES. WAIT AN HOUR THEN IT WILL.

• gingerp
  • 2004 Saturn Vue

My car has gotten to where at times it won't start. Sounds like it's out of gas. An hour later it will start. Been going on about a month now, several times a week.
when it won't start the fuel pump isn't running in the 'on' position.
changed the entire fuel pump assembly. Still no good.
replaced the ignition module as well as the tumbler and had it re- keyed.
passlock reset. Still no good.
i'm at the end of my rope.
when it starts it runs like a champion.
is pcm next?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM

• saturntech9

When it wont start is the security light on or flashing?You said you replaced the ignition housing that contains the pass lock sensor?Have you had the body control module or the ecm read for codes?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 8:06 PM
  • gingerp

It's not throwing any codes. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it.
The security light only flashes when the car is off and locked.
When the car won't start, with the key to the 'on' position, the fuel symbol stays lit and the fuel pump makes no noise. That's why we changed the fuel pump assembly but it didn't help.

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:09 PM
  • saturntech9

Fuel symbol light?The fuel pump doesnt run constantly in the run position. It will run for a few seconds then the pump shuts off. It will only run constantly while cranking or with the engine running. When it doesnt start have you checked for the actual fuel pressure reading at the fuel rail?Also what engine do you have?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM
  • gingerp

It doesn't start to run at all when the car won't start and it's in the 'on' position.
Have a 6 cylinder. How do I check pressure reading? Where/ what is fuel rail?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
  • saturntech9

Fuel rail is where the fuel comes into the engine. Lets talk more about the fuel warning light is this the low on fuel warning light?Also does the gas gauge read empty when you have the no start?Any other things happen when it doesnt start like door locks inop keyless entry inop etc?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
  • gingerp

Yes, it's the low fuel warning light. The gas gauge does read empty when I have a no start, but it always reads empty when it first starts always. Everything else is functioning properly at all times, even with the no start situation.

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 10:24 PM
  • saturntech9

With that new info its starting to sound like a bad body control module when they go bad they usually dont set any codes and one of the things that usually happens when they cause a no start is the fuel gauge reads empty and it wont start.I have seen that happen a lot on the saturn L model when the body control goes bad. Did you mention that the fuel gauge reads empty and low fuel light comes on when it doesnt start at the dealer where you took it?

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM
  • gingerp

When I get it to the dealership it always starts. They've never been able to get it to 'no start'.
Yes, the low fuel light does come on when it wont start even though I have a tankful. Is body control the same as pcm? Thats what I plan on changing next.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 2:03 PM
  • saturntech9

I asked if you ever mentioned to them that when it doesnt start the low fuel light is on and the gas gauge reads empty even thoughs full when you brought it in to the dealer for the no start?The bcm is not the same as a pcm the bcm is the computer for the body electrical functions.I wouldnt buy one at the dealer I one order one online to save money if your going to change it. The dealer will have to changed it because it contains you mileage and has to be programed. Try www. Rockauto. Com and www. Parts. Com for your bcn. Let me know what you find.I have ordered parts from both places then also get the part number and try to see if amazon offers it to cover all you bases.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 7:13 PM