Saturn Vue won't start at times. Wait an hour then it will.

GINGERP
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
My car has gotten to where at times it won't start. Sounds like it's out of gas. An hour later it will start. Been going on about a month now, several times a week.
when it won't start the fuel pump isn't running in the 'on' position.
changed the entire fuel pump assembly. Still no good.
replaced the ignition module as well as the tumbler and had it re- keyed.
passlock reset. Still no good.
i'm at the end of my rope.
when it starts it runs like a champion.
is pcm next?
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM

SATURNTECH9
When it wont start is the security light on or flashing?You said you replaced the ignition housing that contains the pass lock sensor?Have you had the body control module or the ecm read for codes?
+5
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 8:06 PM
GINGERP
It's not throwing any codes. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it.
The security light only flashes when the car is off and locked.
When the car won't start, with the key to the 'on' position, the fuel symbol stays lit and the fuel pump makes no noise. That's why we changed the fuel pump assembly but it didn't help.
-1
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:09 PM
SATURNTECH9
Fuel symbol light?The fuel pump doesnt run constantly in the run position. It will run for a few seconds then the pump shuts off. It will only run constantly while cranking or with the engine running. When it doesnt start have you checked for the actual fuel pressure reading at the fuel rail?Also what engine do you have?
+2
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM
GINGERP
It doesn't start to run at all when the car won't start and it's in the 'on' position.
Have a 6 cylinder. How do I check pressure reading? Where/ what is fuel rail?
+1
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
SATURNTECH9
Fuel rail is where the fuel comes into the engine. Here is guide that will show you how to get the fuel pressure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
GINGERP
Yes, it's the low fuel warning light. The gas gauge does read empty when I have a no start, but it always reads empty when it first starts always. Everything else is functioning properly at all times, even with the no start situation.
+3
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 10:24 PM
SATURNTECH9
With that new info its starting to sound like a bad body control module when they go bad they usually dont set any codes and one of the things that usually happens when they cause a no start is the fuel gauge reads empty and it wont start.I have seen that happen a lot on the saturn L model when the body control goes bad. Did you mention that the fuel gauge reads empty and low fuel light comes on when it doesnt start at the dealer where you took it?
+3
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM
GINGERP
When I get it to the dealership it always starts. They've never been able to get it to 'no start'. Then I took it to a shop and they replace the BCM for $340.00 All fixed :) I love this site.
+2
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 2:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers
+1
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 7:13 PM