ENGINE STALLS

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:31 AM

2004 Mit Outlander. I changed alternator and battery. Starts, stays on for a minute and then cuts off. Will stay on if I rev engine. Stalls when I let off the gas. Any thoughts?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Ernest Clark

November, 23, 2010 AT 11:46 AM

Are you getting a check engine light? When was your last tune up?

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 6:57 PM

Tune up was recent. Fuel injectors were serviced recently. Hooked up Actron Code checker found PASS no codes. Oxygen sensor was incomplete though.

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 6:57 PM

NO engine check lights.

Ernest Clark

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:01 PM

If it runs better when you rev the engine, that suggest a fuel related issue and not ignition.

Check the fuel pressure regulator by removing the vacuum hose and checking for fuel. If there's any, then that's your problem.

If not, it may be a sensor (not 02) that's intermittent. Sometimes they won't produce a code until they fail enough for the computer to detect it. You'll need a better scanner that's capable of reading live sensor data. If you aren't knowledgeable in that area, you'll have to get a tech to do it.

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:32 PM

NO fuel in the hose. Where would I find the sensor?

Ernest Clark

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:38 PM

Your engine has several sensors. There's more than one way to check these sensors, but to do so with a meter or scope would probably be beyond your capability. A lot of techs don't even know how.

That's why I suggested you have the computer scanned with a professional scanner capable of reading live data. Unfortunately, these are the kind of issues where you may not have a choice but to take it into a shop. If you feel capable, and can get access to a good scanner updated to your model year, then I can tell you what to do.

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:42 PM

Where can I purchase a scanner like that?

gcaleron

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

Mit dealer said to bring it in. Thanks for your help.

Ernest Clark

November, 23, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

No problem