Power windows not working

JACK T.
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

The power windows, locks and mirrors are not working on my vehicle. I cannot find any fuse, breaker or relay that is labeled in the interior fuse box or power distribution center in the engine compartment for these circuits. Can you give their location and name?

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 3:31 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Here are some guides and diagrams (Below) to help you do some testing on the fuses so you can get the problem fixed. It is the same fuse for windows, door locks and mirrors. You may also have to check the wiring harness that goes into the driver door, hinge side. With the driver door getting the most action, sometimes those wires break. For the power windows, under hood fuse box, fuse 12/50 amp.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run some tests and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken

+2
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 AT 7:53 PM
TRAVIS BATEMAN
  • 2003 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • 2,300,000 MILES

Seen the videos, read the helpful advise, but I checked all wires to door and still not working. None of the door switches on any door besides pass side power lock. My seat memory buttons on driver door are also not working. Have not yet bought a new switch given they are $148.00 online and $45.00 at junk yard. Was just wondering if anyone else knows what might he problem before I spend cash buying new switch? And also does not make sense if the switch is bad why the seat memory is not working. Checked fuses and window fuse is fine, but there is at least ten fuses with no power to them with key forward. Thanks for your help.

+2
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 AT 7:56 PM (Merged)
RJL111
  • 2002 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

I have a 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee. And all my windows do not work and I can not adjust my mirrors also. The light that illumante the switch are out the lock for the driver side door does not work but my locks for the other doors work

+1

I'd check voltage and ground for any circuit that doesn't work. Check the wiring harness that goes into driver door. That harness gets a lot of work every time you open and shut that doors, broken wires are not uncommon.

What do the ten fuses control? That may be your problem or where they are you may have a bad fuse box.

Just to add, the wiring harness that goes into your driver door on the hinge side probably has protective rubber boot covering, Pull the covering back far enough to see wire colors. Orange wire with white tracer is voltage for power windows, hot all the time. Use a testlite to check for voltage. The black wire is ground, check it also.

+1
TRAVIS BATEMAN

Under dash and not really sure there is no cover on it and manual does not tell me fuses. I looked up on internet to see which one was window fuse, but that one is good. Has good power to it.

If window fuse has good power then check window switch with volt meter or test light to see if they work if they work and motor does not then check for broken wire in door jamb as that is pretty common. Also see picture for a tip on windows not working.

+1

I just tried to search out a post that people constantly add to over the years. There were other experts who also answered it.

I just got a notification that it was added to about a week ago (I did not reply, as it was just a "I had the same problem" and a "thank you") Without my replying, I was unable to look through my recent "My Replies" to find it quickly.

Next best thing though,

Maybe you did not check the black wire thorough enough, It seems that it has been the culprit in the many, many replies of that post of multiple pages, that I cannot find at the present time.

I was able to find a Sunday, July 10, 2011 off-shoot from that even older question/ Pay attention to the location of the problem/ see my link!

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2000-jeep-grand-cherokee-has-lost-its-mind

Let's hear some good news!

The Medic

TRAVIS BATEMAN

I have checked black ground through and through pulled hard to get it to come out and nothing it is tight and snug. I will check the switches themselves. But wondering if I need to take off from inside of door panel or if I could take off outer plastic cover to access switches themselves?

See pic for panel removal switch may be held in with springs/screws or clips we don't have a good pic of that.

GABRIELA ASHLEY
  • 2001 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

I own a jeep grand cheroke loredo2001 all of a sudden my windows did not seem to roll up and the door locks also do not work. The control unit is on the driver side. It can control all the windows and door locks. I went to a used parts store and got another one, replaced it but it still does not work. What else can I look at?

M. GUINN

I got the same exact problem on my daughters 2004 Grand Cherokee. I found the answer on this site a few minutes ago. Check the wiring between the driver door and the body, in the rubber boot. In my case the black wire is completely severed. This seems to be a common problem. I haven't fixed the wire yet. Trying to find a way to do it without cutting the rubber boot.

2CARPROS KEN

Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken

-1
Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 AT 2:10 PM