TAKING LIKE 20 SECONDS TO TAKE UP MY CAR, BUT THEN IT STARTS FINE IF I SHUT IT OFF AND TRY AND TURN IT BACK ON

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

colorfullmind13

December, 9, 2011 AT 10:56 PM

AHHH I HATE car problems! Does anyone know anything about cars, that can help me? It takes like 20 seconds to start up my car, regardless if I hit the pedal or not and when I shut it off and start it up again, it starts almost like normal. No problems driving it at all, just starting it! And I got the fuel pump changed about 3000 miles ago along with the fuel filter, just changed the spark plugs.I really dont know what it could be. Please help!

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 11:02 PM

The first thing I would say is check fuel pressure and fuel pressure drop off. Drop of is when you shut the key. The fuel system should maintain pressure for a period of time. If it drops off to 0 psi quickly, there is a leak in the fuel system. That would explain the delay cold start.

Next, with 185K miles, there could be other issues such as lower compression from engine wear. Keep in mind, steel expands when it gets hot. At a cold start, low compression would cause a hard start. After the engine is hot and everything has expanded due to the heat, compression will increase. Thus, it would cause a quicker start.

I would first check fuel pressure and drop off when it is cold. If it is within spec and doesn't lose pressure quickly, then check the compression to make sure it is within spec.

colorfullmind13

December, 10, 2011 AT 12:42 AM

You think it could possibly be the fuel pressure regulator? Cause thats what we think it might be.I havent seen any noticible leaks?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 10, 2011 AT 3:21 AM

It could be. Go to our homepage under the DIY section and find checking fuel pump pressure. IT shows how to check both fuel pressure and the regulator.

Let me know what you find.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma