Dash light, automatic running lights, tail lights ALL OUT

PSILVA8
  • 2003 PONTIAC MONTANA
My dash lights, automatic running lights and tail lights are all out on my 2003 Pontiac Montana. I can manually turn the headlights on, but the tail lights do not come on. The 20amp Park Lamp fuse was blown. I replace it and it blows everytime I start the vehicle. Please help.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 10:51 PM

Check for bad / melted light sockets that are shorted. Also, check wiring to lights.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 10:55 PM
PSILVA8
Thanks for the reponse.

I have to change the brake lights every few months because they burn out. I have replaced the circuit boards but it didn't help. I may need to change the pigtails.

The wiring to the lights may be hard to trace.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 11:15 PM
It is a pain. However, it has to be done if everything else is good.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 11:17 PM
PSILVA8
Ok I have some new information to share with you.

I looked at the tail light circuit boards to check if there was any melting or shorting. No evidence. I replaced the drivers side one with a new one (I bought 2 when I replaced the passenger side). I put a new 20amp fuse in. I turned on the lights manually with the **** and BOOM, fuse blows. Any ideas? I'm a novice when it comes to vehicles but I understand most of what I'm told to do. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 10:56 PM
PSILVA8
The asterisks are supposed to say k.N.O.B.
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 10:58 PM
Do you know how to check continunity?
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 12:34 AM
PSILVA8
Yes I could do it. I can go out and buy a multi meter, should probably have one anyway
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
What I want you to do is check each light circuit to a ground on the vehicle to see if there is continunity. If there is to ground, that is a problem. However, please keep in mind, there will be a ground wire for the lights too.

It it my belief that either you have a direct short to ground or the circuit board itself has a bad spot that can't be seen. Therefore, check the circuit board for continunity too.
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 1:31 AM
PSILVA8
I removed the blown fuse and checked and found 12v with the vehicle on. Does this suggest the problem is in a switch, or module on the circuit and not necessarily a short?
Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 1:14 AM